Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing Accents Using iPad Keyboard (not screen)

Hi,

I understand that one simply holds a key down to generate optional versions of that letter, including accented versions, but that applies only to the on-screen keyboard. If using an attached keyboard (Spanish qwerty), an instructional video suggested the work-around ALT+ (eg, ALT+160=á) but this does not work for me. How do I generate Spanish accented letters on an iPad v15.4 using an attached keyboard?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Stephen

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 9:33 AM

swv53 wrote:

I selected the Latin American version of Spanish. Any further suggestions?

In the settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard > tap over at right edge, make sure you have Latin American checked instead of Spanish ISO.

On Latin American, you should see that the key next to P has acute and umlaut printed on it. To type á you just hit that key and then a. For other accents you need to use the option key plus the + , } , and { keys, then the base letter.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 9:33 AM in response to swv53

swv53 wrote:

I selected the Latin American version of Spanish. Any further suggestions?

In the settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard > tap over at right edge, make sure you have Latin American checked instead of Spanish ISO.

On Latin American, you should see that the key next to P has acute and umlaut printed on it. To type á you just hit that key and then a. For other accents you need to use the option key plus the + , } , and { keys, then the base letter.

Mar 22, 2022 9:10 AM in response to swv53

If you are using a Spanish hardware keyboard, you make accents by pressing the keys just to the right of Ñ and P, which have acute, umlaut, grave, and circumflex printed on them, and then the base letter. So á is ´ and then a.

(Only Windows uses Alt plus a number to make special characters.)

In settings > general > keyboard > hardware keyboard, tap over at the right edge and make sure you have Spanish ISO checked (and not "automatic")

If your keyboard is called "Latin American" instead of "Spanish", let us know as things will differ a bit.

Typing Accents Using iPad Keyboard (not screen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.