Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail not recognising new password but other clients OK

Changed password on one of my email accounts and, all of a sudden, none of my Apple products recognise it. Have tried signing in (having changed password) on iMac, iPhone & Ipad and all say either password or user name is incorrect.

All other accounts are still working fine and if I use a different email client to access the account I changed then I can access that account too....just not on any Apple device.

Have tried multiple times either copying password from password manager or entering manually. Have also tried deleting account and setting up again - same thing happens.

Driving me nuts! Can anyone help please?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2022 11:36 PM

(Correction - the error message was "unable to verify username & password)

SORTED!

Closed email app. Deleted account then deleted email caches. Added account back again... and everything back to normal.

I presume caches were corrupted ..but still don't understand how they all get corrupted at the same time on different devices??

Would still be keen to understand what happened if anyone has any ideas.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2022 11:36 PM in response to geoffMD

(Correction - the error message was "unable to verify username & password)

SORTED!

Closed email app. Deleted account then deleted email caches. Added account back again... and everything back to normal.

I presume caches were corrupted ..but still don't understand how they all get corrupted at the same time on different devices??

Would still be keen to understand what happened if anyone has any ideas.

Apple mail not recognising new password but other clients OK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.