Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert MP3 to MP4

Where do I find Music>preferences in the menu bar?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 4:05 PM

Music that you purchased from the iTunes Store its not copy protected and "belongs" to you. You should be able to whatever you want with it for as long as you want within the artist's copyright restrictions.

Download previous iTunes Store purchases in Music on Mac - Apple Support

However music that you lease with an Apple Music subscription is indeed copy-protected to only play on Apple approved devices and cannot be converted to another format or burned to a CD (for example). If you cancel your subscription or let it expire that music will go away.

BTW, I have quite recently downloaded music from CDs to my Mac without any problem whatsoever.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2022 4:05 PM in response to skdrennen

Music that you purchased from the iTunes Store its not copy protected and "belongs" to you. You should be able to whatever you want with it for as long as you want within the artist's copyright restrictions.

Download previous iTunes Store purchases in Music on Mac - Apple Support

However music that you lease with an Apple Music subscription is indeed copy-protected to only play on Apple approved devices and cannot be converted to another format or burned to a CD (for example). If you cancel your subscription or let it expire that music will go away.

BTW, I have quite recently downloaded music from CDs to my Mac without any problem whatsoever.

Mar 23, 2022 11:49 AM in response to javaliga

I was trying to covert one song in my Apple Music library to an MP4 file. Since this file is "protected" I was unable to do it. However, I was able to convert other music files in the library, but only music I had downloaded from CD's in the days before Itunes/Apple stopped allowing customers to download their own CD's. So, it seems music I purchased in Itunes back in the day still belongs to Apple.

Mar 24, 2022 5:13 AM in response to javaliga

What you wrote makes complete sense. The one song I wanted to convert and is protected is a "leased" song I did not purchase. I used to be able to download CD's to my I pod using Itunes. They put a stop to that long ago, and it really rendered my old Ipod kind of useless. I probably can download CD's to my Mac, but have no reason to do that I can think of right now.

Thanks for helping me out with this. Someone else who must have had a CD with the song on it ( or owned the song)was able to convert it to MP4 so we can live stream it for a friend's memorial service. Jackson Browne's For A Dancer.

Convert MP3 to MP4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.