Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't enter new Contact in Contacts

Hey there

just bought a brand new Macbook Air 2020 M1 - migrated my old mac on to the new one.

When I want to add a new contact on my contacts on the Mac, I can enter First Name, Phone number, and then it either jumps already out of the contact when I was editing the number, or when I hit enter. And the contact is not saved at all! (Tried Screen Recording, but that I couldnt stop. ... so forced quit it)

Anyways - I did already restart the whole Mac, same problem. How can that even happen on a brand new

mac?

Also, ever since I migrated the two Macs, my iphone tripppled some of the contacts. ..

this is honestly quite frustrating, at this price, small bugs like that shouldnt happen with a new laptop?!

Montery was preinstalled and I migrated the old one (Mojave).

Why does that happen and how can it be fixed?

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 7:07 PM

I understand the Contacts app is misbehaving. I surmise the problem is somehow related to having Contacts stored both locally, "on your Mac", as well as in iCloud. It's best to decide upon either one or the other, and if you want to synchronize contacts among all your Apple devices the obvious choice is to use iCloud.

Deleting redundant Contacts is easily accomplished by using the Card menu > Look For Duplicates... but I have no explanation for the inability to add new Contacts.

If that doesn't at least give you some information that may lead to a resolution, you should certainly contact Apple Support. Since your Mac is new, that service is complimentary for the first 90 days of ownership.

Start here: Get Support.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2022 7:07 PM in response to Kaddy85

I understand the Contacts app is misbehaving. I surmise the problem is somehow related to having Contacts stored both locally, "on your Mac", as well as in iCloud. It's best to decide upon either one or the other, and if you want to synchronize contacts among all your Apple devices the obvious choice is to use iCloud.

Deleting redundant Contacts is easily accomplished by using the Card menu > Look For Duplicates... but I have no explanation for the inability to add new Contacts.

If that doesn't at least give you some information that may lead to a resolution, you should certainly contact Apple Support. Since your Mac is new, that service is complimentary for the first 90 days of ownership.

Start here: Get Support.

Can't enter new Contact in Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.