Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram memory

I want to upgrade the RAM of an Apple Imac 27 inch 3.2Ghz (late 2013) in order to gain some speed

There are 2 x 4Gb installed and room for 2 more up to 32 Gb what combination would be the best ( add 2x4Gb or 2x8Gb or remove 2x4Gb and put 4x8Gb) ddr3l 1600

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 3:11 PM

Danbrod wrote:

I want to upgrade the RAM of an Apple Imac 27 inch 3.2Ghz (late 2013) in order to gain some speed

Please read Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support.

Examine the Memory Pressure graph. Unless it is frequently "red" then your Mac's RAM is not a performance-limiting factor, meaning more would not help anyway.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2022 3:11 PM in response to Danbrod

Danbrod wrote:

Please read Check if your Mac needs more RAM in Activity Monitor - Apple Support.

Examine the Memory Pressure graph. Unless it is frequently "red" then your Mac's RAM is not a performance-limiting factor, meaning more would not help anyway.

Mar 23, 2022 2:03 PM in response to Danbrod

We do not know how it was configured. However to be honest it likely either has a hard disk a Fusion Drive. If I am correct that it likely has a Fusion Drive or Hard Disk the best way to improve speed is to buy a USB 3 external SSD and clone the internal disk to the SSD and then use the SSD as the startup drive. Another (and much more elegant solution) is to replace the 2013 (please remember it's 10 years old now and is considered obsolete by Apple) with a new Mac.

I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, I was had a 2011 27" iMac that was VERY out of date and opted to update to a new machine that would run current versions of Mac OS and also was configured with a SSD. The improvement in speed was pretty dramatic!

Mar 23, 2022 8:45 PM in response to Danbrod

Memory is the first thing I upgrade,

because it is the easiest and usually the cheapest,

then hard drive,

then blade drive,

then I consider a new computer…

Look at Data Memory Systems or Other World Computing for memory.

I would put in two 8 gig chips, giving you a total of 24.

https://www.datamemorysystems.com/apple-imac-intel-core-i5-quad-core-3-2ghz-27-me088ll/a-late-2013-memory-upgrades/

Mar 24, 2022 12:00 AM in response to Danbrod

The 2013 iMac can support up to 32GB of RAM. A quick search on OWC (Macsales.com) USD $147.99 for four 8GB modules, or $77.99 for 2 8GB modules to add to your existing 8GB which will bump it up to 24GB.

Note... the big impediment to your Mac's performance will be the storage device. If you have a conventional hard drive (not Fusion/SSD), then additional RAM will not really increase the performance of your iMac. The conventional hard drive is just too slow.

If you have an SSD or Fusion Drive, then adding RAM will help.

I have a friend I work with that is still using his 2013 iMac as his primary workstation. The RAM was maxed to 32GB and the internal hard drive was removed and a 1TB SSD was installed in its place. Works great. It's not a 5K monitor like more newer iMacs, but it does the job.

Ram memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.