Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk space

Why is my disk space not freeing up after following the prompts to delete files? I deleted several large backup files I no longer needed, flicked off photos so they don't sync to my Mac off of my phone and clicked the option to delete from Mac however the disk space is still the same for both and has not reduced at all, the trash has also been emptied and I have restarted my Mac but the storage is still at the same capacity as before!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 5:21 PM

jennamcwilliams92 Said:

"Disk space: Why is my disk space not freeing up after following the prompts to delete files? [...]the storage is still at the same capacity as before!"

-------

Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, viewing this once more. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2022 5:21 PM in response to jennamcwilliams92

jennamcwilliams92 Said:

"Disk space: Why is my disk space not freeing up after following the prompts to delete files? [...]the storage is still at the same capacity as before!"

-------

Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, viewing this once more. For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Disk space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.