Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new Macbook Pro 16 M1 Pro battery already on 7 cycles

Hey!

Like in the title, just got brand new macbook from Apple yesterday, was plugged in all the time while I was migrating from Time Machine, then wasn't used for the rest of the day. I opened it today and checked battery status out of curiosity and saw that I'm already on 7 cycles but 100% capacity, but it wasn't even recharged as the computer draw energy from the charger not the battery. Google search lead me to the forums where people just panic and replace whole macbook or give it up for inspection if it has more than 1 battery cacle new, but there are no expert opinions there. So I was wondering is it really that big of a deal? 7 cycles or 1 cycle, does it matter? Does it mean that battery is faulty or there is other cause for that? I really don't want to overreact, also replacing it and waiting for a new one or giving it for inspection for a few days would be a hassle for me as it's my only computer and I got work to do so I would like to avoid it to be honest. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 4:35 PM

Rekosz wrote:
brand new macbook from Apple yesterday

yes I know but everywhere I looked people said that it's an alarming thing so... that's why I'm asking. Also today it went up to 8 even though it is always on 100% and connected to charger and it said that it's not charging and is powered by charger directly so it got whole cycle even though it's wasn't charging, ***?

I do not see this as an issue.

You do not have to micro-manage the battery—let the software work for you.

ref: About battery health management in Mac notebooks

w/ silicon About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

the general rule of thumb, if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you ned the portability then run on the battery only.

Battery is consider hardware. You have a 1-yr warranty even if you did not extend the coverage with AppleCare+ for an additional 2 years. ref: hhttps://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

I would advise simply enjoy your new Mac, watch the behavior over the coarse of a couple months to get familar with some of the intricacy if in doubt.

The current stable release of Monterey is macOS 12.3

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 4:35 PM in response to Rekosz

Rekosz wrote:
brand new macbook from Apple yesterday

yes I know but everywhere I looked people said that it's an alarming thing so... that's why I'm asking. Also today it went up to 8 even though it is always on 100% and connected to charger and it said that it's not charging and is powered by charger directly so it got whole cycle even though it's wasn't charging, ***?

I do not see this as an issue.

You do not have to micro-manage the battery—let the software work for you.

ref: About battery health management in Mac notebooks

w/ silicon About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

the general rule of thumb, if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you ned the portability then run on the battery only.

Battery is consider hardware. You have a 1-yr warranty even if you did not extend the coverage with AppleCare+ for an additional 2 years. ref: hhttps://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html

I would advise simply enjoy your new Mac, watch the behavior over the coarse of a couple months to get familar with some of the intricacy if in doubt.

The current stable release of Monterey is macOS 12.3

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-macos-updates-mchlpx1065/mac

Mar 24, 2022 8:45 AM in response to Rekosz

Hi!

7 cycles on a new MacBook Pro is normal. There is no reason to worry. One cycle count is charging the computer from 0% to 100%, and half a cycle would be 50% to 100%. Also, before Apple sells the unit the battery is calibrated so seeing 7 cycles is probably a result of that. If battery life turn concerns you, look at this support article:

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

Mar 24, 2022 9:23 AM in response to Rekosz

Rekosz wrote:

Hey!

Like in the title, just got brand new macbook from Apple yesterday, was plugged in all the time while I was migrating from Time Machine, then wasn't used for the rest of the day. I opened it today and checked battery status out of curiosity and saw that I'm already on 7 cycles but 100% capacity, but it wasn't even recharged as the computer draw energy from the charger not the battery. Google search lead me to the forums where people just panic and replace whole macbook or give it up for inspection if it has more than 1 battery cacle new, but there are no expert opinions there. So I was wondering is it really that big of a deal? 7 cycles or 1 cycle, does it matter? Does it mean that battery is faulty or there is other cause for that? I really don't want to overreact, also replacing it and waiting for a new one or giving it for inspection for a few days would be a hassle for me as it's my only computer and I got work to do so I would like to avoid it to be honest. Thanks!

You have an expect 1000 cycle count....

Mar 24, 2022 2:52 PM in response to leroydouglas

yes I know but everywhere I looked people said that it's an alarming thing so... that's why I'm asking. Also today it went up to 8 even though it is always on 100% and connected to charger and it said that it's not charging and is powered by charger directly so it got whole cycle even though it's wasn't charging, wtf?

Brand new Macbook Pro 16 M1 Pro battery already on 7 cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.