Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music app does not sync with folder

The Music app (aka iTunes of Old) does not sync with the folder that is provided in the Music App preferences. The drive I have specified is an external drive. The last time I recall the sync working was when the music app was in fact iTunes...

OS details

macOS Big Sur, version 11.6.3

Details:

1. The Music app has songs listed in it...and they play. I do not see a way for the app to tell me where the physical file is located.
    2. I'll refer to the songs in the Music app as SET A
    3. The Music App is configured to point to /Volumes/ExternalDrive/Songs/iTunes
    4. In that external folder is a folder with the music "iTunes Music" as well as other files (e.g. *.itl, *.itdb, *.xml)
    5. The music in the exteral drive is SET B
    6. The songs of SET A are a subset of SET B ... like said above, there were no problems with iTunes. The lists are not the same
    7. Based on an article I have since lost, I tried to start over and created a new folder /Volumes/ExternalDrive/Songs/Music
    8. I configured the Music app preferences to point at this new folder. The Music App created a subfolder named "Automatically Add to Music" so I know that the app accepted the new location.
    9. However the songs from SET A are still there in the Music app. I was expecting no songs. No progress.
    10. I found some article that suggested deleting the music lib and re-launching Music App would work, so I deleted *.itb, *.itl, & *.xml in the original folder and configured Music app to point back to /Volumes/ExternalDrive/Songs/iTunes. Relaunched Music App. Song from SET A still there. No progress. ( put those files back)
    11. I have always used the same account to purchase music.
    12. I have re-authorized this computer (which I have had since late 2014)

I would expect that if there was a sync problem, that the app would inform me... Since it's not informing me of an error, and I don't know where this magic list of SET A songs it find, I'm stuck and unable to utilize the Music App...

Assistance appreciated

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 9:42 PM

1. Select a song, press cmd+i to get info, look at the File tab to see its location.
  2. OK, SET A is the songs known to your library.
  3. The media folder designated in preferences is where new downloads, rips, or conversions go. Music doesn't scan this folder to make the library match the contents of the folder.
  4. When Music imported your old iTunes library it won't have removed the old database or other supporting files. So far, so normal.
  5. So SET B is all the music content on your external drive, got it.
  6. Music only knows about the content that has been added to it. Typically it will contain a subset of the audio content that was in your iTunes library, plus anything added since. Content that would likely have been excluded would be podcasts, audiobooks, tones, voice memos, and any audio in your media folder that wasn't connected to iTunes when you upgraded to Music.
  7. The ideal location for a Music library on an external drive would be <External>/Music with the media folder being <External>/Music/Media.
  8. See 3. above, changing the media folder tells Music where to put new downloads, rips, or conversions. Selecting an empty folder won't clear the contents of the library.
  9. Revise your expectations, see 8.
  10. Music uses a file typically called Music Library.musiclibrary for its database, not the iTunes Library.itl file or supporting files from iTunes, so deleting those can be expected to have no impact. The database is typically located in ~/Music/Music but if you want to host your library on an external drive you may want to move it to <External>/Music (see recommendation in 7.) then option-start-Music to select the new copy of the database.
  11. Good. Managing content from multiple accounts complicates matters, particularly if you want to redownload past purchases. When you are signed into your Apple ID you may also see any unhidden purchases that aren't already included in the local library. These would have the location Cloud and can be download on demand. See the right-click context menu or the little cloud/download icon.
  12. (Re)authorizing the computer allows your computer to play protected content. There shouldn't be any impact on the content of the library when you authorize or deauthorize.

You can use File > Add to Library to scan your drive, or any particular folder within it for new content to add to the library.

If you want to start a fresh library press and hold down option as you launch Music and keep holding until you are asked to choose or create a new library.

In a standard Music library the typical path of a track is:

<Some Path, e.g. ~/Music>/Music/Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>/[D-]## <Name>.<Ext>

There is a trick to eliminate the Music folder inside the Media folder if desired, which requires editing a hidden .plist in the Media folder and changing a 1 to a 0, then turning Keep organized off and on again.

Music has a feature to copy tracks that are outside of the current media folder into it. File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files. The drawback with using this feature is that files are copied rather than moved, leaving originals for you to clean up by hand. At the very least you probably want to add all existing media on the drive to the library first before you consolidate to any new path so you can be clear that anything left outside the new media folder after consolidation can be safely discarded. Of course you may also have some legacy video content on the device, which belongs in the TV app, which behaves much the same as Music, so you might not want to discard the entire iTunes folder until you secured that in a new media folder too.

See also Empty/corrupt iTunes/Music library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community which explains why you might see only your unhidden purchase history as opposed to your local content that had previously been part of your library.

Importing local content when you have copies in the cloud won't create duplicates. The usual reason for that is importing files located outside of the meda when copy files to the media folder is enabled. Neither iTunes nor Music keep a record of the import locations, so if you import from the same place again you get new copies. If you attempt to add a file that is already connected to the library then nothing happens.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 9:42 PM in response to orient-beach

1. Select a song, press cmd+i to get info, look at the File tab to see its location.
  2. OK, SET A is the songs known to your library.
  3. The media folder designated in preferences is where new downloads, rips, or conversions go. Music doesn't scan this folder to make the library match the contents of the folder.
  4. When Music imported your old iTunes library it won't have removed the old database or other supporting files. So far, so normal.
  5. So SET B is all the music content on your external drive, got it.
  6. Music only knows about the content that has been added to it. Typically it will contain a subset of the audio content that was in your iTunes library, plus anything added since. Content that would likely have been excluded would be podcasts, audiobooks, tones, voice memos, and any audio in your media folder that wasn't connected to iTunes when you upgraded to Music.
  7. The ideal location for a Music library on an external drive would be <External>/Music with the media folder being <External>/Music/Media.
  8. See 3. above, changing the media folder tells Music where to put new downloads, rips, or conversions. Selecting an empty folder won't clear the contents of the library.
  9. Revise your expectations, see 8.
  10. Music uses a file typically called Music Library.musiclibrary for its database, not the iTunes Library.itl file or supporting files from iTunes, so deleting those can be expected to have no impact. The database is typically located in ~/Music/Music but if you want to host your library on an external drive you may want to move it to <External>/Music (see recommendation in 7.) then option-start-Music to select the new copy of the database.
  11. Good. Managing content from multiple accounts complicates matters, particularly if you want to redownload past purchases. When you are signed into your Apple ID you may also see any unhidden purchases that aren't already included in the local library. These would have the location Cloud and can be download on demand. See the right-click context menu or the little cloud/download icon.
  12. (Re)authorizing the computer allows your computer to play protected content. There shouldn't be any impact on the content of the library when you authorize or deauthorize.

You can use File > Add to Library to scan your drive, or any particular folder within it for new content to add to the library.

If you want to start a fresh library press and hold down option as you launch Music and keep holding until you are asked to choose or create a new library.

In a standard Music library the typical path of a track is:

<Some Path, e.g. ~/Music>/Music/Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>/[D-]## <Name>.<Ext>

There is a trick to eliminate the Music folder inside the Media folder if desired, which requires editing a hidden .plist in the Media folder and changing a 1 to a 0, then turning Keep organized off and on again.

Music has a feature to copy tracks that are outside of the current media folder into it. File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files. The drawback with using this feature is that files are copied rather than moved, leaving originals for you to clean up by hand. At the very least you probably want to add all existing media on the drive to the library first before you consolidate to any new path so you can be clear that anything left outside the new media folder after consolidation can be safely discarded. Of course you may also have some legacy video content on the device, which belongs in the TV app, which behaves much the same as Music, so you might not want to discard the entire iTunes folder until you secured that in a new media folder too.

See also Empty/corrupt iTunes/Music library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community which explains why you might see only your unhidden purchase history as opposed to your local content that had previously been part of your library.

Importing local content when you have copies in the cloud won't create duplicates. The usual reason for that is importing files located outside of the meda when copy files to the media folder is enabled. Neither iTunes nor Music keep a record of the import locations, so if you import from the same place again you get new copies. If you attempt to add a file that is already connected to the library then nothing happens.

tt2

Mar 24, 2022 7:48 PM in response to orient-beach

OK, I'm starting to see the changes they made... The Get Info on a song did in fact have the location of the song, but since the path wasn't a long path that I expected, my eyes glazed over the word "Cloud".

So, if I understand what Apple has done it is the following:

• If I previously purchased a song from iTunes, then that song is in the Cloud and shared between devices.
  • If I have other songs (that worked perfectly well in iTunes) not purchased from iTunes, then they are orphaned from the Music app.
  • Am I correct in assuming that I have to import these songs into the Music app? Bear in mind that I still have the physical files on my external drive that were previously purchased from iTunes. I worry that I'll end up with two copies of those particular songs in the Music app... which is tedious when that happens.

Mar 24, 2022 11:22 PM in response to orient-beach

If desktop, depending on the number of songs or damage to the database you may need to remove the database and let it re-interrogate your collection, see the command below, enter your user name in the xx section.

rd /S /Q C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.ZuneMusic_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Database

Also, confirm in groove settings that you are monitoring the music folder you're dumping songs into. 'Settings / choose where we look for music'

[Edited by Moderator]

Music app does not sync with folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.