Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple's 14.4 ipsw bricked my iPhone 7

I inherited my nephews iPhone 7 after he passed away in January 2021. I updated my device to ios 14.4 I researched how to install the firmware from Apples website everything was going fine untill the reboot. It was on the apple logo then it went to connect to itunes ( I found out that is recovery mode) I took my nephews beloved iPhone to the 4 remaining iPhone stores to see if they could help I had his apple id and password written down and I explained my problem. Every apple employee told me since he was not with me they could do nothing I broke down and told them why he was not here they still would not help me fix it. So I have spent the last 14 months trying every single fix I have found on the internet and wrote down every single error and every single .log file off of my Windows 10 laptop and my new MacBook and it is still not working. All I wanted was to get some photos and a book he was writing. And yes I have tried his apple id on iTunes and iCloud I get another message saying it was deleted. I have read everything apple has posted on fixing the iPhone 7 nothing worked. And I contacted apple they said they could not access the account since it was deleted. I also found out that during the update NULL Board Config installed I have searched and found nothing I need help fixing my deceased nephews iPhone. Please and thank you.

iPhone 7

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 8:38 PM

When did you do this? 14.4 was a long time ago. BTW - it's not a firmware update per se. iOS updates are solely operating system and software updates.

Apple may help with a device inherited, but it may require a death certificate copy and indication of the relationship or some proof that it was inherited. Of course all they could potentially do is just reset the whole thing. I believe the process is similar to that to gain access to an account.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Not sure if it would be worth it for an iPhone 7. The latest iPhone SE is a more capable device if you're OK with just starting with a new device.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2022 8:38 PM in response to pookyNavyBrat

When did you do this? 14.4 was a long time ago. BTW - it's not a firmware update per se. iOS updates are solely operating system and software updates.

Apple may help with a device inherited, but it may require a death certificate copy and indication of the relationship or some proof that it was inherited. Of course all they could potentially do is just reset the whole thing. I believe the process is similar to that to gain access to an account.

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Not sure if it would be worth it for an iPhone 7. The latest iPhone SE is a more capable device if you're OK with just starting with a new device.

Apple's 14.4 ipsw bricked my iPhone 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.