Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very High Memory Usage - Differences between Safe Boot and New User Account

I'm having big memory usage issues with Adobe CC. I'm getting memory warning pop-ups and jittery operation.

Illustrator or Photoshop in my main user acct. and Safe Boot is using 37GB of memory (without a file open). However, after creating a new user account, Illustrator is only using 1GB of memory.

Adobe Forum is not getting me any answers.

So... I don't know where to turn in what differences to investigate that the New User is doing better/differently than the Safe Boot. 

This issue isn't showing up on my older MacBook Pro (2018) on Catalina.

MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Max, OS 12.3, 64GB Memory, 2TB SSD, Latest version of all Adobe software.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 25, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 12:04 PM

CleanMyMac might be evil somehow, but it wasn't responsible for this. There must of been corruption going on with the apps themselves because uninstalling/reinstalling AI and PS has brought the apps back to normal usage.

AI is at 1.79GB and PS at 1.07GB.

Adobe really makes it difficult to organize/locate as files like patterns., gradients, etc. None of it were in any of the folders with those names in either the app folder or Library's Application Support. I looked so hard to find the locations of this stuff to save out. I just couldn't find them by names. This was my fear with this. I have backups. I just need to find them.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

CleanMyMac might be evil somehow, but it wasn't responsible for this. There must of been corruption going on with the apps themselves because uninstalling/reinstalling AI and PS has brought the apps back to normal usage.

AI is at 1.79GB and PS at 1.07GB.

Adobe really makes it difficult to organize/locate as files like patterns., gradients, etc. None of it were in any of the folders with those names in either the app folder or Library's Application Support. I looked so hard to find the locations of this stuff to save out. I just couldn't find them by names. This was my fear with this. I have backups. I just need to find them.

Mar 25, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I tried removing the pref file, but that made no change. I'm not sure how to read a EtreCheck report, but looking at the memory usage section, the memory usage by Illustrator and Photoshop have completely different amounts compared to Activity Monitor. With no files open in either app, this is the usage: PS 21.74GB, AI 18.89GB with AIRobin 18.01GB.

Mar 25, 2022 1:07 PM in response to markfug

I don't have Adobe applications, but sometimes misbehavior can be due to corruption in an application's preferences.

You may perhaps delete the preferences and see if that helps.

Quit any of the problem applications.

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste

~/Library/Preferences

find the files starting with com.adobe

for example

com.adobe.illustrator.plist

(or similar)

and drag them out of the folder. You can put them temporarily on the desktop and, if this does not help,

put them back later.

If the above does not help: from the problematic account, run Etrecheck and post its report here.

Very High Memory Usage - Differences between Safe Boot and New User Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.