Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a new mack book pro and I am giving my old one to my wife. how do I erase and restore factory settings.

Hi There,

I need help erasing my MacBook Pro 13 and restoring factory settings. Im not getting the option in System preferences.

Thank you,

Rick

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 3:25 PM

See the instructions in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

The System Preferences option is only available in very limited circumstances. See the following from Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

System Preferences includes Erase All Content and Settings only when using macOS Monterey on a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 3:25 PM in response to Ricksmac99

See the instructions in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

The System Preferences option is only available in very limited circumstances. See the following from Erase all content and settings on Mac - Apple Support

System Preferences includes Erase All Content and Settings only when using macOS Monterey on a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip.

Mar 26, 2022 5:47 PM in response to Ricksmac99

If this is your Loving and Trusted wife, all you need to do is add an additional user account for her. The macOS installed is under your Apple-ID and that will be required to install further updates, but that is not very onerous. You can leave your account on the machine, or remove it at any time.

Just be sure there is one Admin account remaining on the machine, or you can easily get locked out and lose everything.

--------

If this is your estranged wife, use the selling article cited.

I bought a new mack book pro and I am giving my old one to my wife. how do I erase and restore factory settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.