Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone

i am trying to set up my phone. Every time I try to get it just to go through with internet it just says that it can’t activate the phone. I’m not trying to activate it. I’m just trying to use it for WiFi.

iPhone 7

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2022 8:54 PM

Hi,

If I recall correctly back in the day, you used to be able to plug your phone up to your computer and update it through iTunes. I'm assuming you can still do that, I think it's probably through the Music app. I would recommend plugging it into a Macbook or if you have another PC of choice, and trying to update it through the computer.

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of macOS or the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Check that your computer has an Internet connection.
  3. With the cable that came with your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your computer. Locate your device on your computer.
  4. Wait while your computer detects and activates your iPhone: 
    • If you see an alert that shows "Set up as New" or "Restore from Backup," it means your iPhone is activated.
    • If you get an error message on your computer that says that the SIM card isn't compatible or is invalid, contact your carrier.
    • If you get an error message that says the "activation information was invalid" or "activation information could not be obtained from the device," use recovery mode to restore your iPhone.

It's not listed above, but there should also be a pop-up that says something along the lines of "iPhone has a new update available" and you should click "yes" or "update" to update it manually through the computer.

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

Hope this helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2022 8:54 PM in response to Madimoore456

Hi,

If I recall correctly back in the day, you used to be able to plug your phone up to your computer and update it through iTunes. I'm assuming you can still do that, I think it's probably through the Music app. I would recommend plugging it into a Macbook or if you have another PC of choice, and trying to update it through the computer.

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of macOS or the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Check that your computer has an Internet connection.
  3. With the cable that came with your iPhone, connect your iPhone to your computer. Locate your device on your computer.
  4. Wait while your computer detects and activates your iPhone: 
    • If you see an alert that shows "Set up as New" or "Restore from Backup," it means your iPhone is activated.
    • If you get an error message on your computer that says that the SIM card isn't compatible or is invalid, contact your carrier.
    • If you get an error message that says the "activation information was invalid" or "activation information could not be obtained from the device," use recovery mode to restore your iPhone.

It's not listed above, but there should also be a pop-up that says something along the lines of "iPhone has a new update available" and you should click "yes" or "update" to update it manually through the computer.

If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

Hope this helps!

Mar 26, 2022 8:57 PM in response to Madimoore456

Madimoore456 Said:

"iPhone: i am trying to set up my phone. Every time I try to get it just to go through with internet it just says that it can’t activate the phone. I’m not trying to activate it. I’m just trying to use it for WiFi."

-------

For Note:

Charge your Battery:

Looking at the top right cornet of your iPhone, the battery percentage is way down there. So, charge it to at least 40%, and then proceed form there with troubleshooting this.

Screenshot:

iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.