Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting Photos with metadata

I usually use icloud online to export photos instead from the Photos app (on the Macbook) since exporting from the Photos app will not always export the full resolution of the photo.

But "keywords" seem not to be transferred to icloud.

Although in the Photos App, under view/metadata, Keywords is ticked on.

When I use Preview, to open a downloaded photo from Photos App, the keyword is shown. This isn't the case if I export the same picture from icloud online. (unmodified original or most compatible).

Any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 9:57 AM

It seems to be currently very buggy, when I try to download from www.icloud.com . I tested with a few edited versions and had incorrect results in all cases.

• For photos, that have been edited with a photo editing extension (Luminar AI), clicking the checkmark "most compatible, including edits" resulted in the download of the edited version returned by the editing extension. The download has been a JPEG without keywords or any titles and captions.
  • For photos, that have been edited by applying adjustments in Photos, the download of the edited version resulted in downloading the original HEIC file, no adjustments applied, the IPTC metadata titles, captions, keywords missing.

It has been different previously, before the current update.

Yes, use your Mac to export the photos.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2022 9:57 AM in response to Erik Coremans

It seems to be currently very buggy, when I try to download from www.icloud.com . I tested with a few edited versions and had incorrect results in all cases.

• For photos, that have been edited with a photo editing extension (Luminar AI), clicking the checkmark "most compatible, including edits" resulted in the download of the edited version returned by the editing extension. The download has been a JPEG without keywords or any titles and captions.
  • For photos, that have been edited by applying adjustments in Photos, the download of the edited version resulted in downloading the original HEIC file, no adjustments applied, the IPTC metadata titles, captions, keywords missing.

It has been different previously, before the current update.

Yes, use your Mac to export the photos.

Mar 27, 2022 12:30 AM in response to Erik Coremans

Hi

If you drag/drop from photos, it will only transfer the current preview - which as you've found may be lower resolution and quality.

To export properly from photos you need to use file>export or file>export unmodified original.

The first will add keywords and other metadata added in photos. The second won't, but can include them in a separated "side car" file with the option "export IPTC as XMP" selected.

Mar 27, 2022 2:51 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

I always use the file>export instead of drag/drop. But even the I noticed that sometime a smaller version (resolution) of the photo is exported. This is not the case when using download out of my icloud online.

I also noticed that keywords that I added in the Macbook Photos APP are not showing on my iphone, which makes me doubt that keywords are uploaded to icloud.

Best Regards,

Erik.

Mar 27, 2022 2:29 AM in response to Erik Coremans

The unmodified originals do not contain the keywords we add in Photos. The keywords are a part of the edited versions. When we duplicate photos in Photos we can create different versions with different meta data, like keywords, locations, titles, dates. Keywords are syncing with iCloud Photos, but when you download from iCloud you have to download the edited version, not the original to include the keywords.

Mar 27, 2022 2:56 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

I read another helpful post of you about opening the downloaded photo is Preview.

It's there that I noted that my photos, exported from the Photos APP do contain the keywords, but photos downloaded from my icloud online (both edited version and original version) don't contain the keyword.

Should downloading from the Photos App or from icloud online result in the same quality of photo? (in the past it didn't always result in the same quality)

Best Regards,

Erik.

Mar 27, 2022 6:29 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

I use JPEG + JPEG Quality High + Colour Profile "Most compatible" + "full size + checked Include "Title, Keywords and Caption" + "Location Information" + File name "Use title" + Subfolder format "none" and then "Export"

Might it be due to Photos/Preference/Icloud Photos "Optimise Mac Storage" resulting in a lower quality on the MAC than in the icloud?

I didn't test it recently since I once lost some picture quality once (when I exported photos to an external disk when my cloud was full :-) )

Greetings,

Erik.

Mar 27, 2022 6:33 AM in response to Erik Coremans

When you do file>export, then the full size original must first be downloaded from iCloud (this is one of the ways of forcing a download on a machine with optimised storage).

It is possible though that full iCloud might disrupt normal behaviour. As might not having an internet connection avaialbel - though then photos will normally tell you it can't complete the operation because it needs internet.

Mar 27, 2022 8:42 AM in response to Erik Coremans

The keywords are definitely syncing with iCloud Photos. I am syncing several Macs with different system versions with iCloud Photos, and when I add keywords on one Mac the are appearing on the other Macs. My iPhone and iPad, also syncing with iCloud cannot show them, as iOS does not support keywords, but when I search for a keyword on my iPhone or iPad the photos will befound.

Which system version do you have installed? On Big Sur I had a problem, that exporting as a JPEG did not include the keywords and I had to export the edited versions as TIFF files to save the keywords.

Do your keywords survive, when you export as TIFF? I did not mind this bug so much, as I wanted the edited versions converted to HEIC any way, and as Photos does not offer to export as JPEGs, I needed the intermediate TIFF anyway.

Mar 27, 2022 9:12 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

Thank you,

As you wrote the Keywords are indeed in iCloud, and performing a search on my iPhone proved it, as you described.

I only think that the "Keyword" data is not exported, if you export directly from iCloud.com. And this in both cases "as original" or "most compatible".

So I will use exports from my Mac again instead of from iCloud.com

Best regards,

Erik.

Exporting Photos with metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.