Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 wall charger and cable

Am in process of getting new iPhone 12 and told by ATT that cannot use prior charging block and cables used in iPhone 6s as they will 'fry' the iPhone 12 battery. They new ones are expensive, but have found alternatives online for less. Are those alternatives safe to use (Belkin, Anker) to prevent damage to iPhone 12? When I asked the ATT salesperson, he was very vague about it.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Gordon

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 12:13 PM

That's incorrect. It's all forward and backwards compatible, although the speed might be an issue. There's nothing that will damage an iPhone by using a lower power source. Obviously a 5W cube provides 1/4 the maximum power as the 20W that the newer iPhones max out with when using a USB-C to Lightning cable. However, that won't damage a battery. I have no idea why anyone would say anything like that with no merit other than maybe trying to sell new accessories.

I still have an iPhone 7, but my family is using OEM and MFi USB-A to Lightning cables along with higher power USB-A power adapters and they've been doing just fine. If anything, they might be better for battery life, as slower charging inherently generates less heat. The benefit would be marginal though.

It's still effectively a single 3.7V nominal lithium-ion battery. Newer iPhones will take in 5V or 9V, and they end up converting it to a suitable charging voltage.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2022 12:13 PM in response to obgyndoc

That's incorrect. It's all forward and backwards compatible, although the speed might be an issue. There's nothing that will damage an iPhone by using a lower power source. Obviously a 5W cube provides 1/4 the maximum power as the 20W that the newer iPhones max out with when using a USB-C to Lightning cable. However, that won't damage a battery. I have no idea why anyone would say anything like that with no merit other than maybe trying to sell new accessories.

I still have an iPhone 7, but my family is using OEM and MFi USB-A to Lightning cables along with higher power USB-A power adapters and they've been doing just fine. If anything, they might be better for battery life, as slower charging inherently generates less heat. The benefit would be marginal though.

It's still effectively a single 3.7V nominal lithium-ion battery. Newer iPhones will take in 5V or 9V, and they end up converting it to a suitable charging voltage.

Mar 27, 2022 11:39 AM in response to stedman1

I have several cubes and USB to lightning cables I used for the 6s. Will they continue to work for the iPhone 12 without damage to the 12? My (older) car also has a USB port in the center console that I have connected with a USB to lightning cable. Will that also be OK?

This has been very helpful/enlightening. Thanks,

Gordon

Mar 27, 2022 12:18 PM in response to y_p_w

Thanks for verifying a previous similar answer. Interestingly, I called another ATT store and they also said if you use the older USB to lightning, the battery will go 'dead'. It appears something is very wrong there and possibly, illegal. Have also checked some online articles, all of them confirming the safety, but longer charging times.

Thanks for all the help,

Gordon

Mar 27, 2022 12:34 PM in response to obgyndoc

obgyndoc wrote:
Thanks for verifying a previous similar answer. Interestingly, I called another ATT store and they also said if you use the older USB to lightning, the battery will go 'dead'. It appears something is very wrong there and possibly, illegal. Have also checked some online articles, all of them confirming the safety, but longer charging times.

Thanks for all the help,
Gordon

I have no idea why they're saying that. My parents recently purchased a new iPhone SE (2020 edition) that comes with only a USB-C to Lightning cable. The person who sold it to them (at a Cricket affiliate) told them that it would be damaged if it wasn't charged with a USB-C power adapter.

The charging voltage of an iPhone maxes at about 4.3V. And all the charging circuitry inside an iPhone controls all the charging. All it needs is a steady DC power and it does all the rest.

iPhone 12 wall charger and cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.