Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are you sure you want to shutdown your computer now?

My MacBook Pro (Mac OS X 10.6)keeps having the message popup.
"Are you sure you want to shutdown your computer now?"
It will shutdown automatically after a certain seconds and the machine will still work as normal after the button "Cancel" is clicked.
It is annoying to have this up. Is it a software problem or hardware failure?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 9, 2010 8:38 AM

9 replies

Aug 13, 2010 3:20 AM in response to VictoriaKK

I had performed a hardware test and no problem was found.
I also tried to reinstall the OS but it halted at the very beginning and suddenly shutdown itself.
I tried a couple times already and it kept shutdown after a minutes at the same point, but it won't shut down during the hardware test.
I erased the disk and tried to reinstall the OS but it still shutdown at the same point. It doesn't seem to be the disk problem but something controlling the power of the machine.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks

Aug 13, 2010 8:33 AM in response to VictoriaKK

VictoriaKK wrote:
I had performed a hardware test and no problem was found.
I also tried to reinstall the OS but it halted at the very beginning and suddenly shutdown itself.

I agree with abrody's assessment. Under normal circumstances, the shut down message appears not only when you choose the Shut Down command, but also when you press the power button on the case or on an external keyboard. When the message comes up at random, it usually means the Mac thinks it has gotten a shutdown signal from the hardware somewhere. Sometimes it's a bad external keyboard or USB cord, other times there is a wiring fault under the power button that causes a short circuit making the Mac think the button was pressed. These types of hardware problems won't be solved by doing anything with the software like reinstalling.

The Apple Hardware Test tests memory and a few critical systems, but it may not detect things like motherboard or port problems. I agree that it should be brought in to be checked by a technician.

Sep 1, 2010 4:30 AM in response to VictoriaKK

The logicboard you could only have damaged if you improperly removed cables, or did the other thiings you mentioned.
Now if the machine is under a year old you can still by AppleCare, which is usually cheaper than a logicboard replacement.

My FAQ covers cables and how they should be plugged in and removed to avoid damage*

http://www.macmaps.com/frayguide.html

- * links to my pages may give me compensation.

Sep 30, 2010 7:34 AM in response to a brody

Many Thanks to both abrody and network23 again.

Unfortunately, on the date my MacBook Pro had problem, it was just two days beyond the one year warranty period. Since it was just too late to go for the AppleCare for repairing my gadget, I had to find ways to fix it.

Eventually It was the faults of the northbridge chip and the keyboard, after having them replaced, my beloved MacBook Pro resurrected again. I am curious why the keyboard had problem, probably it was because of the power button associating with it, but anyway my MBP works again after having them, the chip and the keyboard, replaced. I wish it just happened to my MBP, an exception only to my logic board quality, but not the other Mac lover since a breakdown just after a year is really rare for todays handheld device. I swear I have been using my MBP properly without spilling of water or dropping it on my toe.

Sep 30, 2010 8:21 AM in response to VictoriaKK

I don't think you should overly worry about why it happened. You're right that, generally speaking, today's consumer electronics are highly reliable and not prone to such simple parts breakage. But, that said, it does still happen, some of the time, to some of the units. Not your fault, not anyone's fault - stuff just happens sometimes (especially when you make millions of the same thing).

Are you sure you want to shutdown your computer now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.