Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t get into Safemode

How do I get into Safemode if pressing the shift key does not work, I have a 2015 MacBook Air 13 inch with an i5 chip.

I tried to update and it got half way across the loading or updating screen and stopped……

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 9:51 PM

Thank you for your assistance, I got through but now when I tried to reinstall the OS via recovery it says it needs 10.6 gigs more space…..now I have no idea how to get something’s off to make the needed space, I have 16 gigs on the SSD available, short of wiping the whole drive is there anything more that I can do, at least to get some important things off it before I wipe it completely and start over.

There are only three music files on the drive that I need to get off and they are irreplaceable.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2022 9:51 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your assistance, I got through but now when I tried to reinstall the OS via recovery it says it needs 10.6 gigs more space…..now I have no idea how to get something’s off to make the needed space, I have 16 gigs on the SSD available, short of wiping the whole drive is there anything more that I can do, at least to get some important things off it before I wipe it completely and start over.

There are only three music files on the drive that I need to get off and they are irreplaceable.

Mar 29, 2022 12:18 PM in response to KRELLDUDE

If you can't get your Mac to start in Recovery Mode it seriously hampers troubleshooting. Be sure to follow all the steps in Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support.

You have to get to the macOS Utilities screen which resembles the following, depending on the macOS Recovery version installed:

or (previous version)

or (even earlier)

I'm not sure if your problem is resolved or not, but since it seems we drifted far afield from the original question starting a new Discussion would probably elicit more focused assistance with the problem at hand.

I can’t get into Safemode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.