You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Add to Library," is greyed out: I can't add music to itunes from computer.

On the options bar of itunes, the "add to library" option, under "Song" is GREYED OUT. I can't add songs. I'm just trying to add music from my computer to itunes, not my phone. If someone could help me I'd be very grateful. I used to be able to. From a recent update of itunes, I guess things changed. I am using itunes 12.12, and I have a Windows 10 computer. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling itunes. No luck. If someone had a suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 8:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 10:26 AM

Raphael1717 wrote:

I noticed that if I went under File to Add Folder to Library, the songs were not displayed in the folder.

That is normal behaviour, because the navigation is looking for folders, not files.

It may or may not be relevant to add that these new songs were .mp3 file

Where did the mp3 files come from? If you have used a conversion programme to rip YouTube audio, then something appears to have changed, which prevents audio copied from YouTube from being added to iTunes.

We don't know who made the change (which company or organisation), but it's a reasonable to assume that it was YouTube, seeking to prevent copyright theft. So if that's where your audio came from, perhaps you should consider buying the songs instead and thereby supporting the artist who created the music.

If the mp3 files are from somewhere else and legitimate, we can investigate further if you provide details.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Raphael1717

Raphael1717 wrote:

I noticed that if I went under File to Add Folder to Library, the songs were not displayed in the folder.

That is normal behaviour, because the navigation is looking for folders, not files.

It may or may not be relevant to add that these new songs were .mp3 file

Where did the mp3 files come from? If you have used a conversion programme to rip YouTube audio, then something appears to have changed, which prevents audio copied from YouTube from being added to iTunes.

We don't know who made the change (which company or organisation), but it's a reasonable to assume that it was YouTube, seeking to prevent copyright theft. So if that's where your audio came from, perhaps you should consider buying the songs instead and thereby supporting the artist who created the music.

If the mp3 files are from somewhere else and legitimate, we can investigate further if you provide details.

Mar 28, 2022 12:06 PM in response to Raphael1717

Raphael1717 wrote:

On the options bar of itunes, the "add to library" option, under "Song" is GREYED OUT.

I'm not sure where you're looking because there should not be any option in the File/Add File to Library option that mentions "song", let alone one that's greyed out. Even files such as .flac, which iTunes cannot add, should appear in full black text, not greyed out.

What you're trying to do is either:

• add several songs that are in one folder, in which case you navigate to the appropriate folder (but don't go in to it), click on the target folder and then click the Select Folder button. If you go into the folder by mistake, it should appear to be empty (because there is no folder in it)
    • add one song to your library, in which case you navigate to the appropriate folder and select the file for that song. Note that you add a file, which iTunes then lists in its library as a song. In other words, you ask iTunes to play a song and iTunes uses the file for that song. In this situation, even the cover art should be listed in full black, not greyed out.

On the menu File/Add File to library, it should open up a dialogue box headed Add To Library and offer you the chance to navigate into the folder with the song in it. You then click on the file and tap the Open button on the navigation panel. I can't recall ever seeing anything greyed out.

I cannot think of a time where the scenario you describe appears, so if are still having issues, please provide more specific detail about what steps you take and what happens when you take them.

Mar 29, 2022 1:00 AM in response to the fiend

Thanks for your detailed response. Sorry I wasn't more detailed.

I went to the menu FILE and then to Add File to Library... as you suggested. I tried clicking one specific song/file, and then adding it, clicking the Open button. Seemed to be no problem, only once I went to the list of songs in my library, I could not find that file/song in my library. I noticed that if I went under File to Add Folder to Library, the songs were not displayed in the folder.

If I then went out of itunes and opened the specific folder for the songs/files, they were there. I tried to drag them to the library list of songs in itunes, one by one, which is what I normally do. There was something that said "link" next to the pointer as I did so. However, the songs were not added to the list of all the songs in my library. I searched for them, in Songs in my library and typing the titles in, but they weren't present.

It may or may not be relevant to add that these new songs were .mp3 files, but I have plenty of other mp3s in my itunes library. Again, I'm used to just dragging songs from another file window into my itunes library. They're in my D: drive in a music folder I made, because I don't want to add anything more to my C: drive, as I don't have much space there. So all my songs are in D drive.

I had this problem of being unable to add music long ago when originally installing itunes, but I just can't for the life of me remember what it was I did to correct it. After the recent update of itunes, I'm suddenly unable to add songs to my library. Furthermore, my original songs have been rearranged by itunes and put in new folders in my D drive, which I didn't exactly ask for. New folders in my computer for my songs just makes it more confusing.

Anyway, thanks for your time. I'm not sure what to do next. If you can think of anything, I'd be grateful to know, but either way I appreciate your efforts.

Mar 31, 2022 8:10 AM in response to the fiend

Hey! Thanks for getting back. Really sorry this took so long. Been through some crazy days, and it's been difficult to get back to all my emails/calls right away.

Anyway, if that's what apple/youtube are doing, that's what they're doing. Guess I'll have to make due. No worries though. I understand the thing about musicans. They've got it rough. Thanks again for your help and support!

"Add to Library," is greyed out: I can't add music to itunes from computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.