Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi my iPad Air 2 constantly freezes I keep on rebooting sometimes 3-4 times a day

Hi my iPad Air freezes continuously I have to reboot 3-4 times a day. Software iOS12.5.5

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 10:10 AM

6 replies

Mar 29, 2022 11:41 AM in response to sharita288

Hello sharita288,

In order to resolve the issue with the system performance on your iPad, first install the latest update for your iPad. Apple's updates contain software that is crucial to the operation of your iPad:Update iPadOS

Update iPad automaticallyIf you didn’t turn on automatic updates when you first set up your iPad, do the following:1. Go to Settings  > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates.2. Turn on Download iPadOS Updates and Install iPadOS Updates.When an update is available, iPad downloads and installs the update overnight while charging and connected to Wi-Fi. You’re notified before an update is installed.
Update iPad manuallyAt any time, you can check for and install software updates. Go to Settings  > General > Software Update. The screen shows the currently installed version of iPadOS and whether an update is available.To turn off automatic updates, go to Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates.

Update using your computer1. Connect iPad and your computer with a cable.2. Do one of the following:• In the Finder sidebar on your Mac: Select your iPad, then click General at the top of the window.To use the Finder to update your iPad, macOS 10.15 or later is required. With earlier versions of macOS, use iTunes to update your iPad.• In the iTunes app on your Windows PC: Click the iPad button near the top left of the iTunes window, then click Summary. 3. Click Check for Update.4. To install an available update, click Update.

Next, check out the steps from this article: About iOS or iPadOS performance on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best Regards.

Mar 29, 2022 5:07 PM in response to sharita288

Whether or not you are able to update any iPad to a newer version of iOS/iPadOS will be dictated by the iPad model - and the currently installed version of iOS. You can find this information here:

Settings > General > About

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

The first generation iPad Air, iPad mini2 and mini3 can only be updated to iOS 12.5.5. Apple ended major update support for these models of iPad in September 2019 - although they since continue to receive “point” security updates - the most recent being released late last year. These devices cannot be updated to iPadOS 13 (or any later major versions of iPadOS) as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements (CPU and RAM) for newer versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Are you having difficulties with just a single App causing spontaneous restart of your iPad? If so, try deleting the App from your iPad, then force restart your iPad before re-installing the App from the App Store.

Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

If the problem remains unresolved, or if the issue is with multiple Apps, then more drastic action may be required - such as a full reset of the iPad.

Mar 29, 2022 4:20 PM in response to sharita288

Can you, please, confirm what year and model iPad do you have/own?

The “A” model number can be found on the aluminium back of your iPad, in very small print, right under the larger bold print “iPad” on the back of the iPad.

What, exact, iOS/iPadOS version is this iPad, currently, running?

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

All of that additional info can be found in the Settings app, General settings panel, About.

Please try to make an attempt to answer all questions asked.

Thank You.

Mar 30, 2022 1:41 AM in response to sharita288

Your “A” model number corresponds to a 2013 iPad Air 1st generation and NOT a later 2014 iPad Air 2.

Double click the Home button to check the iOS App Switcher and make sure you do not have lots of, potentially, background running apps just hanging in the App Switcher. Quit apps by one finger swiping upward on each app window until the app switcher is cleared of all apps.

You can use multiple fingers on each app window to slide upward to quit multiple apps at the same time.

Best of Luck to You!

Hi my iPad Air 2 constantly freezes I keep on rebooting sometimes 3-4 times a day

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.