Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight developer suggestions

There is no way to uncheck developer suggestions in Spotlight settings. So how do you remove it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2022 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 12:30 PM

Thanks for getting back to us with that question, rutfol. It's appreciated.

There isn't a "Developer" category in Spotlight for you to "deselect". However, you can still exclude those files from appearing in your Spotlight search: Change Spotlight preferences on Mac - Apple Support You can exclude a location in the Privacy options of Spotlight instead.

All the best.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2022 12:30 PM in response to rutfol

Thanks for getting back to us with that question, rutfol. It's appreciated.

There isn't a "Developer" category in Spotlight for you to "deselect". However, you can still exclude those files from appearing in your Spotlight search: Change Spotlight preferences on Mac - Apple Support You can exclude a location in the Privacy options of Spotlight instead.

All the best.

Apr 11, 2022 12:14 PM in response to Todd0213

Greetings Todd0213,

this is not my issue. The System Preferences are responsive. The issue is that there is no "Developer" option to uncheck. I do not want Developer suggestions to come up when I search for something in Spotlight. So I would like to remove Developer suggestions and only keep Applications and Definition. See example below:

Mar 29, 2022 1:15 PM in response to rutfol

Greetings rutfol,

It sounds as though you're having issues removing the check mark next to Applications and Definitions in System Preferences > Spotlight on your Mac. You've come to a great place for help! To confirm, what happens if you click the check mark next to those options? Are you seeing any error message or does it appear as though System Preferences is unresponsive? If System Preferences appears unresponsive or you're unable to click the check mark next to those two options have you tried closing and reopening System Preferences by clicking the red close icon towards the top-left of the window? If not, try closing and reopening System Preferences.

If the issue persists after closing and reopening System Preferences try to force quit and reopen System Preferences next. This can be done by opening System Preferences > Click the Apple logo towards the top-left of the display, then click Force Quit in the menu. In the window that appears click on System Preferences > Followed by Force Quit, then go back in to System Preferences > Spotlight to see if you're able to remove those check marks.

Let us know how that goes!

Spotlight developer suggestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.