Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps crashing

For a few days now, my Mail app keeps crashing.

For example when I send emails to the trash, 99% of the time it crashes the app (quits the app).

It also happens when I choose to empty the trash.

This is driving me nuts and it wasn't happening before.

Any tips?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:26 AM

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

5 - If the issue is still presented - please advise

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 7:26 AM in response to tiagorocha

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

5 - If the issue is still presented - please advise

May 11, 2022 5:56 AM in response to PRP_53

I've been having the same problem since upgrading to Monterey on my iMac. It happens all the time now. I have tons of crash logs to look through. I also have a MBA with my account and it doesn't crash so I've got something going on my older iMac. I'll try what you suggest and see what happens. I have email going back before 2009 saved in mailboxes on my Mac, keeping only 6-8 months of current emails on iCloud. Thanks for the suggestion.

May 24, 2022 10:14 AM in response to ana7225

Update on my Mail crashing on MBA. I had both Malwarebytes and ClamXAV running. Disabled both and no crashing. Started ClamXAV and so far no crashing. Was told having two anti-virus, malware programs running can cause problems.

As for the iPad, Mail crashing could be a variety of things and I don’t believe we have access to crash logs. Check how much storage you have less and disable background app updates to see if that helps.

Mail keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.