Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to go back to Big Sur?

I like my laser printer, but it won't work with Monterey. Apple won't let me go back to Big Sur. The Big Sur installer tells me it won't open on a new version of the MacOS. Is there any way of doing that?

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 12:06 PM

Hi,

If the downloaded 5.1 driver package from HP does not work, you may want to try the updated Apple download HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update instead. It is true that the System Requirements for the HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update from Apple also say Not compatible with macOS v12 and newer, but a number of reports have indicated successful use with macOS 12 versions anyway. So, something like the HP LaserJet Professional P1100w version 6.9 could perhaps be worth a try (a driver mentioned in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support). It may or may not work/install in this case. Look upon it as an experiment. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

BTW, an HP LaserJet P1102w does not appear to be listed in the February 18, 2022 (US) version of About AirPrint - Apple Support, but I noticed that it was included in an old iOS: AirPrint 101 HT4356 article from Apple (February 13, 2012). This means that one should not totally rule out the possibility of using the driverless AirPrint technology. However, it may be an early version, and one should perhaps investigate whether a firmware update has been released by HP in the meantime. Take a look at the above HP link provided by den.thed, but choose macOS 14 or earlier (or Windows 10 or earlier) in order to show some firmware-related files. AirPrint would require that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). One could test a printer's ability to work with AirPrint by using an iPhone or iPad (Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support).

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 12:06 PM in response to MadMelvin

Hi,

If the downloaded 5.1 driver package from HP does not work, you may want to try the updated Apple download HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update instead. It is true that the System Requirements for the HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update from Apple also say Not compatible with macOS v12 and newer, but a number of reports have indicated successful use with macOS 12 versions anyway. So, something like the HP LaserJet Professional P1100w version 6.9 could perhaps be worth a try (a driver mentioned in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support). It may or may not work/install in this case. Look upon it as an experiment. Make sure that you have backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

BTW, an HP LaserJet P1102w does not appear to be listed in the February 18, 2022 (US) version of About AirPrint - Apple Support, but I noticed that it was included in an old iOS: AirPrint 101 HT4356 article from Apple (February 13, 2012). This means that one should not totally rule out the possibility of using the driverless AirPrint technology. However, it may be an early version, and one should perhaps investigate whether a firmware update has been released by HP in the meantime. Take a look at the above HP link provided by den.thed, but choose macOS 14 or earlier (or Windows 10 or earlier) in order to show some firmware-related files. AirPrint would require that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router). One could test a printer's ability to work with AirPrint by using an iPhone or iPad (Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support).

Mar 30, 2022 10:23 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is my laser printer, HP LaserJet P1102w, is about ten years old. When I got my new iMac, I went to HP and downloaded the printer driver for that model. When I tried to install it, it told me that the installer will only work on MacOS 12.0 or earlier. Mine is now MacOS 12.3.  I don’t have much hope that HP will be issuing a new driver for that printer. 

I think Apple is just forcing me to buy a new printer.

Mar 30, 2022 10:51 AM in response to MadMelvin

Did you follow Jan’s instruction for resetting the printing system and adding the printer?

FWIW the HP driver download for that printer should work for Monterey.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-p1102-printer-series/4110394/model/4110306

If it doesn’t work, then it is HP and not Apple that is hoping you will spring for a new printer.

Trying to go back to Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.