Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pointing Library to Music for new Mac Questions

Background: I upgraded to a new Mac and decided to start 100% fresh since it's been many years since my last new computer. I'm now at the point I need to set up Music app and want to make sure I'm linking it to my external drive correctly. My music is already organized in a Music folder.

Questions:

1) To correctly relink my music library to Music do I only need to go to Music -> Preferences -> Files and then change the folder location to my Music folder on my external drive? Should "Keep Music Media folder organized be checked? I assume "Copy files to Music Media folder when adding to library" should be checked for when I add new music later. Correct? Do I need any Music/iTunes files from my old Mac or will everything link up and show my original import dates, etc?

2) To re-establish my playlists I can just import the .XML files from my previous Mac?

3) I also use my Mac to sync my iPhone and iPad. The Mobile Applications folder w/ old iApps is in my Music folder. Since Music no longer manages iPhone app syncing and backup I assume I can delete this folder. No file is newer than 2017.

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 5:58 AM

See Move your iTunes/Music library to a new computer - Apple Community for general advice.

1. Changing the media folder doesn't add content to the library, it tells the application where to store new content in future. Keep... rearranges files in response to metadata edits. Copy... makes copies of additions to the library inside the media folder if the source is outside the media folder. I recommend both are enabled unless you really understand why you want them to be different, and are prepared for the future difficulty you may have moving or fixing the library.
  2. You can import an exported XML file to rebuild playlists, provided the file paths match in the two systems. Date added information will reset to the import date. Migrating the library properly should preserve this information.
  3. Correct, the Mobile Applications folder has been pretty much redundant since iTunes 12.7.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 5:58 AM in response to Harry

See Move your iTunes/Music library to a new computer - Apple Community for general advice.

1. Changing the media folder doesn't add content to the library, it tells the application where to store new content in future. Keep... rearranges files in response to metadata edits. Copy... makes copies of additions to the library inside the media folder if the source is outside the media folder. I recommend both are enabled unless you really understand why you want them to be different, and are prepared for the future difficulty you may have moving or fixing the library.
  2. You can import an exported XML file to rebuild playlists, provided the file paths match in the two systems. Date added information will reset to the import date. Migrating the library properly should preserve this information.
  3. Correct, the Mobile Applications folder has been pretty much redundant since iTunes 12.7.

tt2

Pointing Library to Music for new Mac Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.