Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay stopped working on Apple Watch

Hi! So Apple Pay hasn't worked over the last couple of week on my AW5. I've googled and tried restarting the watch, keep the firmware up to date and have tried removing and adding the cards again. It still won't show the "hold close to reader" and doesn't work on the terminals. Any more ideas on how to solve it? Thanks!

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 10:11 AM

Thank you, yeah I've been using it for years. Messed around with Assistive Touch a while ago because I saw some cool tricks, but turned it off right away. Double clicking brings up all my cards but not the text about being close to a reader, nor does it work on the readers. This goes for all my cards in the wallet.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 10:11 AM in response to deggie

Thank you, yeah I've been using it for years. Messed around with Assistive Touch a while ago because I saw some cool tricks, but turned it off right away. Double clicking brings up all my cards but not the text about being close to a reader, nor does it work on the readers. This goes for all my cards in the wallet.

Apr 30, 2022 11:16 PM in response to kalle178

I am thinking of selling my Apple Watch because of this issue. Applepay with the watch was brilliant during Covid. However in the meantime I have had to remove and reinstall my payment methods twice.

Recently I was informed that I *had to* confirm with assistive touch. That was a nightmare to set up and did not work reliably.

i turned it off (made sure that confirm pay with assistive touch was disabled) but still Apple Pay does not work with the applewatch.

i do not wish to reinstall my payment methods a 3rd time; not reset my watch completely (another Odyssee I had to go through twice).

If apple can’t fix this I will drop the apple watch move to another brand (and have to rely on my iPhone for messaging / business connectivity)

May 2, 2022 11:17 PM in response to kalle178

Thanks for this tip. I restarted my watch yesterday (after also removing and reinstalling all cards). Will test ApplePay again ASAP and post the results.

BTW: reinstalling all cards is easier than earlier. Removing them no longer deletes all the data -- meaning not all data has to be re-entered. Still this does not compensate for the embarrassment of holding up a queue of people at the store / being unable to pay. I hope Apple can improve the quality assurance to avoid these problems in future.

Apple Pay stopped working on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.