Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spammers slipping messages into legitimate text threads

I have recently been receiving at least one scam text a day, each with a link that I am supposed to activate.

Scammers are now able to insert their fake messages and links directly into threads started by legitimate contacts. That is, I am now getting these same scam attempts inserted into conversation threads I have with actual legitimate contacts.

If Apple cannot get these scumbags under control, I'll ditch this phone for something else.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 5:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 5:44 PM

First of all, Apple almost certainly has no involvement here.

Secondly, you are likely referring to group messages, not simple one-to-one party messages.

Check the message addressing very carefully. Also note whether they’re green (SMS) or blue (iMessages).

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2022 5:44 PM in response to 3rdManRecords

First of all, Apple almost certainly has no involvement here.

Secondly, you are likely referring to group messages, not simple one-to-one party messages.

Check the message addressing very carefully. Also note whether they’re green (SMS) or blue (iMessages).

What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS? - Apple Support

Mar 30, 2022 5:43 PM in response to 3rdManRecords

I would immediately change your Apple ID password. Settings - name - password and security - change password.

also, I would go to passwords and look at the recommendations and change all of those passwords as well.

had this happen to me and once I changed everything and changed my families Apple ID passwords as well, it stopped. That’s the best thing you can do. To be super secure we even changed our home Wi-Fi network password. That way any avenue they can take to do that is now blocked and the access they had is furthermore removed.

Spammers slipping messages into legitimate text threads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.