Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive security

How do you set a password on an external hard drive?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 30, 2022 9:20 PM

4 replies

Mar 30, 2022 9:39 PM in response to Mark Dalton1

Mark Dalton1 Said:

"external hard drive security: How do you set a password on an external hard drive?"

-------

Formatting a Drive:

You'd need to erase the drive first, and then format it with encryption. export all of the data and then format it. Once formatted, drag all the data back into it. Important: Keep a handwritten, hardcopy of this password stored in a location that only your are knowledgeable, and only your have access to. Without it, you cannot get back in.

Go Here: Encrypt and Protect a Storage Device with a Password in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2022 4:28 PM in response to Mark Dalton1

Mark Dalton1 Said:

"external hard drive security: Thanks TheLittles, I did all that a few weeks ago, but I can still just plug in my external hard drive and it doesn't ask for a password![...]"

-------

You are welcome.

A Few More Thoughts:

A. Use this Link: Erase and Reformat a Storage Device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

B. Single Out this Device:

Connect this to a device other than your MacBook Pro. See if you get prompted for the password on the new device.

C. Re-mount this Drive:

Try unmounting this drive, and then mounting it,

D. Single Out this User:

See what happens when you create a new user. Do you still get this issue? If so, then it is a misconfiguration in the current user. So, something is not configured correctly.

external hard drive security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.