Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why I turn the battery health management off, but the MacBook Pro still has the same charging behavior - won't charge until battery is below a random number...

It is a MacBook Pro late 2021 14 inches version. I know the Monterey has the new feature to protect the battery but I really don't like to let the Mac determine the timing of charge. Therefore the "optimized battery charging" is off all the time. But, three months after I bought and used this MBP, I found its battery drains even with the adapter connected. The system information shows the adapter is connected but not charging. It charges as if an optimized battery charging option is on: charged to 100% and then goes down to somewhere between 90 to 95% before charging again. BUT I TURN THE OPTIMIZED BATTERY CHARGING OFF!!!

I went to the Genius Bar and the staff (at least three) told me they have no idea of what is going on and they suggest me to wait for the latest release of macOS. But not, it is the macOS 12.3 and the problem still exists.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 8:13 AM

It charges as if an optimized battery charging option is on: charged to 100% and then goes down to somewhere between 90 to 95% before charging again.

This is completely normal and correct behavior, and is the way portable Macs worked prior to the introduction of Monterey's battery optimization features.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

In your case I think you will want to enable Optimized Battery Charging, not disable it. That will enable you to select Charge to Full Now in the battery status menu.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 8:13 AM in response to XiiiiiK

It charges as if an optimized battery charging option is on: charged to 100% and then goes down to somewhere between 90 to 95% before charging again.

This is completely normal and correct behavior, and is the way portable Macs worked prior to the introduction of Monterey's battery optimization features.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

In your case I think you will want to enable Optimized Battery Charging, not disable it. That will enable you to select Charge to Full Now in the battery status menu.

Mar 31, 2022 6:59 AM in response to XiiiiiK

Micromanaging is fine if that's your choice, but the circuitry is designed to take of it for you and it has proven to do a very credible job.

The Geniuses likely have no idea because Apple has designed what they believe to be the optimum performance process: the engineers believe is the best way. You can certainly move outside that umbrella, but it's simply not recommended. What you ultimately do with your property is your choice. If it doesn't work to your standard, you can always let Apple know,

Apple feedback: Product Feedback - Apple

Why I turn the battery health management off, but the MacBook Pro still has the same charging behavior - won't charge until battery is below a random number...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.