Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non apple app

Why does an app require verifying every time I try to open it? Surely this only needed doing the first time

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 5:26 AM

7 replies

Mar 31, 2022 5:29 AM in response to Ken_Addison

What app is this? The current rage in app development is “continuous integration”. In this model, you get new bugs delivered to you virtually every day. But each new build has to be verified by the macOS security system. And if you don’t have one of those insanely fast SSDs, that can take a while.

Either buy a new computer or see if you can turn off automatic updates for that app.

Mar 31, 2022 8:14 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

I've never had a third-party app verify more than once.

This is a regular occurrence with Microsoft Office. I assume that other apps with a similar auto-update mechanism would have similar behaviour. Note that some apps have a different auto-update mechanism where they simply invalidate their signature, strip the gatekeeper flag, and Presto! No need to validate anything.

Mar 31, 2022 10:25 AM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

Well, I have seen the verification message when I've had to download an update.

I think it happens the other way. Microsoft seems to be aware of this and is doing something to trigger the verification step along with the update. That way, the apps are ready for use when the user wants to run them. The last verification dialog I saw was for Outlook, which I don't think I've ever launched on purpose.

Other than that, I guess I'm just lucky. 😎

More likely you have a modern SSD. It seems reasonable that people who are really frustrated by this still have a mechanical hard drive. So when they get that verification message, it stays up for a while. And since it is reading the whole executable, it also likely locks up the machine pretty good.

Mar 31, 2022 10:42 AM in response to etresoft

Because it's still fresh in my memory, I had downloaded the latest version of LibreOffice earlier today. Mounted the dmg, drug the app into my Applications folder to replace the one I had. When I got around to launching the app, I did get the "verifying" pop up, followed by the "Do you really, really, really want to open this" message. so for me anyway, I only see the verification message when I install a new app or update. I don't have Microsoft Office installed so I don't know what that does.

Non apple app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.