Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB printing using Airport driver?

I'm looking to replace an older Brother laser printer that has proven difficult to use since I upgraded my Macbook Air to Big Sur. I know that there are later model printers that will allow printing via Airprint drivers, but I have a complication: my employer requires that printing of confidential documents be done through a direct connection (USB) instead of wirelessly, for security reasons (?).

So... my question is, can Airprint drivers be used to print to a compatible printer by USB alone?

Thanks for any insight....

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 11:54 AM

Hi,

USB-only devices (including some printers) are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support in fine. "Similar to AirPrint printers, these USB devices allow you to print or scan without having to install additional drivers."

Otherwise, the "normal" AirPrint-supported models earlier in that article are network printers (Wi-Fi or Ethernet), but do usually have a USB port as well. However, for these printers, separate drivers will (typically) be needed if USB is used.

You mentioned an older Brother laser printer. Any information about the exact model? For a number of models, a macOS 10.15 Catalina printer driver from Brother has been reported to work even under macOS 11 BigSur.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 11:54 AM in response to Charlie Perdue

Hi,

USB-only devices (including some printers) are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support in fine. "Similar to AirPrint printers, these USB devices allow you to print or scan without having to install additional drivers."

Otherwise, the "normal" AirPrint-supported models earlier in that article are network printers (Wi-Fi or Ethernet), but do usually have a USB port as well. However, for these printers, separate drivers will (typically) be needed if USB is used.

You mentioned an older Brother laser printer. Any information about the exact model? For a number of models, a macOS 10.15 Catalina printer driver from Brother has been reported to work even under macOS 11 BigSur.

USB printing using Airport driver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.