Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Hi 8 and Mini DV footage into FCPX

I have a large quantity of old Hi 8 and Mini DV tapes that, over time, I will need to import into FCPX. My camera that I use for exporting the tapes, Sony DCR-TRV355E, is not supported by FCPX. As a work around I have been importing into iMovie 06 HD on my old and trusty 2015 Mac. This works a treat but I am struggling to find the best settings to create a quality file for uploading to FCPX. Help will be much appreciated...

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 5:00 AM

Thank you, Ian. This is very helpful and has enabled me to complete the project I am working on now. For the future I think using QuickTime Player may be the best option. However, I haven't tried this before. I can get it to show the footage from my camcorder but it only seems to be recording my computer screen. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 5:00 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thank you, Ian. This is very helpful and has enabled me to complete the project I am working on now. For the future I think using QuickTime Player may be the best option. However, I haven't tried this before. I can get it to show the footage from my camcorder but it only seems to be recording my computer screen. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Apr 1, 2022 3:19 AM in response to RobertofLadywellVillage

Does your camera convert analogue video(Hi-8) to digital?

It may work with your Mac Pro if you buy the necessary connections to convert FireWire to Lightning (usually 2 and quite expensive) but there is no guarantee.

However, iMovie 6 will convert your tapes to DV which is pretty much the best you are going to get. Even if you could get your camera to import into FCP X the quality would be no better.

I used iMovie 6 about17 years ago but I cannot think what settings you are referring to . . . it was just a matter of connecting the camera and importing the video which was automatically converted to DV.

Apr 1, 2022 7:34 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

So I can connect my camcorder to my mac pro using firewire but the footage would not import correctly into FCPX, I presume because it was not a supported model. In particular the sound suffered from persistent clicks.

I have no problem importing video using the same firewire lead into my old iMac using iMovie 06HD where my camcorder is a supported model.

Using your suggestion of importing video from my camcorder into my mac pro using QuickTime I have been able to do this successfully once I mastered the process.

I am confident that over time I shall now be able work on all my old Hi 8 and mini DV family videos to make them watchable and preserve them. Many thanks.

Apr 1, 2022 7:37 AM in response to RobertofLadywellVillage

One further question. I wonder if you or other contributors to this forum have any experience of using AI video enhancement software to improve the quality / resolution of imported video from older formats? I have seen some good results online but would value any feedback on best options and whether it works with old video. Indeed whether it is worth the cost.

Apr 2, 2022 7:47 AM in response to RobertofLadywellVillage

The only tests I have seen have shown only marginal "improvements". The testers raved over the quality but it still seemed pretty poor to me. Maybe I need better glasses.

If you can get it free fair enough but I wouldn't pay for the stuff.

I know where you are coming from as I have a lot of old family Video8 and 8mm cine of appalling quality by modern standards. I would like it to appear pristine but the truth is that your family members will not care tuppence about its quality and will probably consign it to the bin in years to come. 😫

On a positive note you can probably get an improvement in FCP X by playing with the brightness, colour, contrast and sharpness controls.

Importing Hi 8 and Mini DV footage into FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.