You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID in Landscape Mode on iPhone

I love using Face ID on my new iPhone 11, it is so handy. Before getting the iPhone 11 have been using an iPad Pro for a few years which also has Face ID.

I have always been able to unlock my device using Face ID irrespective of it's orientation. Now I am using the iPhone 11 it seems this is not the case and it only works in Portrait orientation.

I have seen a post where several people say it would need an extra sensor on the 'long side' of the phone to work, but the iPad Pro doesn't have that seemingly working in either orientation from the same sensor.

Can anyone shed any light on why it won't work and if they are likely to solve the issue.

thanks

iPhone 11

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 5:35 AM

3 replies

Apr 2, 2022 9:59 AM in response to ArmMan1016

Hello,

thanks for giving me a link to what I already know “Face ID only works on iPhone when it’s in portrait orientation and you’re facing the TrueDepth camera. On iPad, you can use Face ID when your iPad is in any orientation.”

I am aware of the limitation. But when the same technology works on one Apple device and not another I cannot believe it is down to the technology, but instead a software limitation.

the question is why does it work in both orientations on the iPad Pro but just in portrait mode on the iPhone.

Face ID in Landscape Mode on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.