📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features and how to use your AirPods

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can AirPods Max be connected using a wired connection?

Regarding AirPods Max, I don’t know about lossless audio but I’ve read in other websites these can be connected using a wired connection, and if so what exactly do you need.

I’d love to connect these to my Akai Professional MPC X to monitor my mix.

My MPC has both 1/8” and 1/4” stereo (TRS tip ring sleeve) jacks.

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 10:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 10:25 AM

Hello StudioGuy1111,

The AirPods Max indeed support a wired connection. You may find the cable for connecting them here: Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable

Here's the overview from the link: "This bi-directional cable can be used with both 3.5 mm audio-out and audio-in ports, allowing you to connect your AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro headphones to 3.5 mm audio sources, or to connect your iOS or iPadOS device to speakers with 3.5 mm audio ports."

Regarding lossless audio with the AirPods Max, you can find some helpful info on that here: About lossless audio in Apple Music

Can I listen to lossless audio using the AirPods Max Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable?

The Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable was designed to allow AirPods Max to connect to analog sources for listening to movies and music. AirPods Max can be connected to devices playing Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless recordings with exceptional audio quality. However, given the analog-to-digital conversion in the cable, the playback will not be completely lossless.

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2022 10:25 AM in response to StudioGuy1111

Hello StudioGuy1111,

The AirPods Max indeed support a wired connection. You may find the cable for connecting them here: Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable

Here's the overview from the link: "This bi-directional cable can be used with both 3.5 mm audio-out and audio-in ports, allowing you to connect your AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro headphones to 3.5 mm audio sources, or to connect your iOS or iPadOS device to speakers with 3.5 mm audio ports."

Regarding lossless audio with the AirPods Max, you can find some helpful info on that here: About lossless audio in Apple Music

Can I listen to lossless audio using the AirPods Max Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable?

The Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable was designed to allow AirPods Max to connect to analog sources for listening to movies and music. AirPods Max can be connected to devices playing Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless recordings with exceptional audio quality. However, given the analog-to-digital conversion in the cable, the playback will not be completely lossless.

Cheers.

Can AirPods Max be connected using a wired connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.