Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External gear doesn't respond to some downloaded midi files in Logic Pro X

I think it's easier if I explain it in a story-like manner.

I download a midi file from the internet - say Sweet Dreams and import that file into logic pro. The logic pro would then create several tracks corresponding to the instruments in that midi file and lays them down neatly.

I then create an external instrument track, I hook up a Moog sub25 and connect it via USB to logic.

I choose a bass sound on the Moog and drag the bass midi track from the now laid down midi track into that line hoping that the Moog responds - it doesn't. I then try to record my own midi track on that same line using the Moog, making sure that it is communicating with logic - It works, it records the midi notes and it plays them when I playback that segment. However, the Moog doesn't respond if I drag midi notes from the downloaded midi file into that very same Moog line.

The midi notes played by me and the ones that I got from the net look identical on the logic pro, the piano roll opens both in an identical way, showing where it is placed and colors them based on velocity. I can assign software instruments to that midi track (which works fine) in logic but the external gear doesn't play them, even though if I were to play along during playback, in logic's piano roll it shows that keys are being pressed by me but only the ones I play make a sound and not the ones that have been imported from the downloaded midi file.

I hope that the problem can be understood and I do apologize- It is rather difficult to explain this say bug in text. I suspect it may have something to do with Midi types ( type 0, 1 , 2 etc) which was a problem in the 90s and we had to convert all midi types to type 0 in order for it to trigger anything.

please assist me on this matter

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 6:38 PM

If the MIDI OUT channel in the inspector is set to ALL, the MIDI traack from the file will play on the MIDI channel it was originally recorded with. (there are 16 separate MIDI channels) See the Pic, this external MIDI track is set to channel 4. You will have to try different MIDI channels until your Moog receives the MIDI data, often channels 3, 4 or 5 are used for bass, could be any of the sixteen channels. You can also use the List Editor to see what channel the original MIDI track was recorded on.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 6:38 PM in response to samyar128

If the MIDI OUT channel in the inspector is set to ALL, the MIDI traack from the file will play on the MIDI channel it was originally recorded with. (there are 16 separate MIDI channels) See the Pic, this external MIDI track is set to channel 4. You will have to try different MIDI channels until your Moog receives the MIDI data, often channels 3, 4 or 5 are used for bass, could be any of the sixteen channels. You can also use the List Editor to see what channel the original MIDI track was recorded on.

External gear doesn't respond to some downloaded midi files in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.