Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music playlists missing

I have about a dozen playlists and something has happened where they have become corrupted. Specifically, the music itself is still in my library. But somehow about a half dozen of my playlists are missing most or all of the songs I put into them. Is there a file I can restore to fix this? I do TimeMachine back ups pretty regularly.

I noticed this the other day and have not been able to find a solution. But one thing is definitely clear, it was recent because about a week ago, my playlists were full intact. For what it is worth, when I go into Music > iTunes and look at the *.itdb files they are dated 2019. So I'm not sure what file I need to restore.

Only changes I can think of that has happened in the last couple weeks are:

1. I changed my AppleID email address associated with my existing AppleID (not to be confused with getting a new AppleID). So all the songs play just fine when I go to the album. And, the songs that are no longer in my playlists are both songs I purchased from the iTunes stores and songs that I ripped from a CD I own.
  2. I recently purchased a new iPad Air that I sync my music with. So my music is on my iMac, my new iPad Air, and my iPhone. And the corrupted playlists are the same on all devices.

thx!

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 8:40 PM

So I finally got it to work. Replaced both the iTunes and Music databases from a Time Machine back up. But doing this, will not work if you simply reopen the Music app after you restore the files from Time Machine. You have to reboot your Mac. Otherwise, the replaced files don't take hold. You will be opening and closing your Apple Music app with no difference.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 8:40 PM in response to Jdub_3d

So I finally got it to work. Replaced both the iTunes and Music databases from a Time Machine back up. But doing this, will not work if you simply reopen the Music app after you restore the files from Time Machine. You have to reboot your Mac. Otherwise, the replaced files don't take hold. You will be opening and closing your Apple Music app with no difference.

Music playlists missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.