Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini best way to transfer Mac mini 2014 to Mac mini 2020

Getting a new Mac mini M1(2020) , and will want to do a mostly full migration from my Mac mini (late 2014). Reading about various methods to migrate, tossing up between Time Machine and Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt 2 connection (need an adapter). I haven't really looked into W-fi pr Ethernet options. Any recommendations?

I have a Time Machine backup and am running current Monterey OS.

My current thinking is that a) Thunderbolt transfer will be faster, not that that is a huge issue, but b) if something is left behind by the migration process, it will be easier to retrieve.

I would love to hear from anyone who has gone down the Thunderbolt path.

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2022 6:14 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Congratulations on the new Mac! To move your data, restore from your Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support. You should not use Wi-Fi or any other method, including Thunderbolt, as they often fail.

Once your new Mac is setup with your data migrated, you should setup Time Machine again to keep continuous backups of your data: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Jack

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2022 6:14 PM in response to Sherw

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Congratulations on the new Mac! To move your data, restore from your Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support. You should not use Wi-Fi or any other method, including Thunderbolt, as they often fail.

Once your new Mac is setup with your data migrated, you should setup Time Machine again to keep continuous backups of your data: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Jack

Mac mini best way to transfer Mac mini 2014 to Mac mini 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.