Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The time machine is not backing up a external hard drive connected to my imac - how do I fix this?

My time machine is not backing up an external hard drive connected to my imac - how do I fix this?

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 8:04 AM

10 replies

May 12, 2022 1:01 PM in response to catherinef3

I have 3 Sandisk 1TB external Hard Drives. One is showing up in the Exclude These Disks window and is greyed out so I can't select it to delete it from the list and have it backed up. The other two aren't on the list so I assume they're being backed up but I don't see anything in the TM backup disk that suggests they're in fact being backed up.

How do I:

1. Get the disk that's greyed out in the exclude list to be included in my backup - again I can't select it so I can hit the - key to remove it from the list
  2. How do I confirm the disks I "think" are being backed up are in fact being backed up?

May 24, 2022 11:57 AM in response to RCates1957

SOLUTION:

I copied the contents of the external SSD drive that wouldn't let me delete it from the Time Machine "Options/exclude from backup" dialog" to a new location, re-initialized the external SSD disk in a different format (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) copied the original contents back to that external SSD drive and was then able to select/delete from the time machine/options dialog which included it in the backup.

The time machine is not backing up a external hard drive connected to my imac - how do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.