Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External M.2 SSD w/ Thunderbolt 3 USB C >--> iMac w/ Thunderbolt 2 & USB-3 ports -- HELP!

I was early adopter of the OWC Envoy Express--a M.2 SSD enclosure with Thunderbolt 3 USB C male connector, and I'm quite happy using it with my MacBook Pro 2019 with Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports.

Now … I’d like to transfer some files from the Envoy Express SSD to my iMac Late 2015 (Ports: USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2).

Question: Is there any combination of hardware/adapters I can use to plug the Envoy Express into the older iMac?

I've tried a USB-C female to USB-3 male adapter and plugged it into the USB-3 port on the iMac, but that doesn't work--the iMac displays the message "Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory -- Connect accessory to a Thunderbolt port on this Mac".

Is Thunderbolt 3 backwards compatible to Thunderbolt 2? If so, is there an adapter Thunderbolt 2 (male) to Thunderbolt 3 (female)? Any suggestions for plugging my Envoy Express in to the older iMac?

Thanks, Randy

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 6:17 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Unfortunately, you can only connect a Thunderbolt 3 device to a Thunderbolt 1/2 Mac if the Thunderbolt 3 device provides its own power (has a separate power supply). Unfortunately, the Envoy Express does not, nor does it support USB, so it cannot be connected to an iMac (Late 2015). Sorry about that.

Jack

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2022 6:17 PM in response to drandel

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Unfortunately, you can only connect a Thunderbolt 3 device to a Thunderbolt 1/2 Mac if the Thunderbolt 3 device provides its own power (has a separate power supply). Unfortunately, the Envoy Express does not, nor does it support USB, so it cannot be connected to an iMac (Late 2015). Sorry about that.

Jack

External M.2 SSD w/ Thunderbolt 3 USB C >--> iMac w/ Thunderbolt 2 & USB-3 ports -- HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.