Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File / Folder Names Disappearing

I'm on a new 2021 16" MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey.

I'm having an issue that is more annoying than it is problematic. If I have a folder open, with files and/or subfolders inside, several of the named folders and files disappear. If I right click on the folder or file, the name returns but only momentarily. I'm not loosing files; everything is where it ought to be. It's only that right clicking on numerous folders to get to the folder that I want is, as I said, just annoying.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 4:32 AM

Is User profile accurate MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2 ?

Current version as of March 31, 2022 is version 12.3.1

Brings several bug and security fixes.

Perform A Time Machine Backup before updating

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 11, 2022 7:31 AM in response to nikisuzamy

I am on MacOS 12.3.1 and have also seen similar behavior. Today it happened when I was adding a sub-folder in column view. When I started typing in the name of the new folder, its parent folder went blank. Selecting the parent folder and viewing info showed the name was still intact.

I was able to fix/refresh the glitch by switching from column view to list view. Not a big deal on the surface, but when this happens to a folder with 8 months of work in it, it's panic-inducing.

File / Folder Names Disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.