Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my Mac is old and won't update past Big Sur 11.6.1 and didn't back up my data. How can I retrieve it for my new iPhone 13?

My MacBook Air is a 2013 model and won't update past Big Sur 11.6.1 and didn't back up myiPhone data. The Apple store deleted all data on my new iPhone 13, except for my iCloud data. How can I get it back?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 4:53 PM

When you set up the 13 you'll be asked if you wish to restore from a backup. If you've been backing up your device you can use the iCloud backup or the backup on your computer. If you were not backing up then you will not have a backup to restore.

4 replies

Apr 3, 2022 9:42 AM in response to RitaB2

I don't quite understand the problem.

My MacBook Air is a 2013 model and won't update past Big Sur 11.6.1 and didn't back up myiPhone data.

Here iMac late 2012 with macOS Catalina 10.15.7

2 days ago 2 iPhones updated to i)S 15.4 via the iMac.

Had no problems, iPhone update time about 20 minutes.

Also backed up both iPhone.

The Apple store deleted all data on my new iPhone 13,

Why?, did they explain to you why they did that?

Apr 3, 2022 4:48 PM in response to Raicya

I traded in my iPhone X for an iPhone 13. They needed to restore it and in order to do that they needed to erase all data. They told me that my photos and notes would still be in the cloud which they are, but the data on the phone would be deleted and that I could load the backup to my phone from my computer

my Mac is old and won't update past Big Sur 11.6.1 and didn't back up my data. How can I retrieve it for my new iPhone 13?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.