Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.3.1 HP4520 error

Just updated MacBook Air to Monterey 12.3.1 and my printer (hp4520) won't work. I reinstalled hp drivers, and reset the printers. Then, I tried to add the printer and got an error "unable to communicate with printer."

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 1:17 PM

Hi,

Which exact HP 4520 do you have? There are several possibilities. For example, the HP ENVY 4520 All-In-One Printer (which is a supported AirPrint model). Perhaps an HP Color LaserJet CP4020-CP4520 Series printer, an HP Designjet 4520MFP, or the HP Designjet 4520ps?

If it is the HP ENVY 4520 All-In-One AirPrint printer, you should not have to install any drivers from the manufacturer, provided that the model in question is connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router) as the MacBook Air.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2022 1:17 PM in response to moya274

Hi,

Which exact HP 4520 do you have? There are several possibilities. For example, the HP ENVY 4520 All-In-One Printer (which is a supported AirPrint model). Perhaps an HP Color LaserJet CP4020-CP4520 Series printer, an HP Designjet 4520MFP, or the HP Designjet 4520ps?

If it is the HP ENVY 4520 All-In-One AirPrint printer, you should not have to install any drivers from the manufacturer, provided that the model in question is connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router) as the MacBook Air.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Apr 3, 2022 2:39 PM in response to moya274

Thank you for the information.

You may want to try another printing system reset first (link above) in an attempt to re-add the printer (using AirPrint).

If all settings are OK, you could also try the following procedure:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the MacBook Air, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the MacBook Air. Finally, power on all other devices/computers. Any change?

BTW, this printer appears to work with 2.4 GHz only.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4520-all-in-one-printer-series/5447920/model/5447921/document/c04704159 -> Connectivity

If necessary, use an iPhone/iPad to test that AirPrint works properly with the printer in connection with the router.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 3, 2022 3:11 PM in response to moya274

moya274 Said:

"Monterey 12.3.1 HP4520 error: Just updated MacBook Air to Monterey 12.3.1 and my printer (hp4520) won't work. I reinstalled hp drivers, and reset the printers. Then, I tried to add the printer and got an error 'unable to communicate with printer.'"

-------

Troubleshooting Non-Seen Printers:

Use a Virtual Machine:

This is incompatible with your operating system. So, use a virtual machine, seeing if that makes all the difference.

Screenshot.

Add this to your Network:

You may need to remove and then add the device, to and then from the network, respectively. To do that, use the screen on the Printer.

Time for a New Router?:

If is is not being seen, then you are likely not connected to the same frequency, therefore it may be time for a new router (one that is dual band).

Apr 11, 2022 4:35 PM in response to moya274

I have the same issue on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Can’t print from any of them since the last OS upgrade (MacOS 12.3.1, iOS 15.4.1. The printer can be seen on the network but shows as offline on the Mac. Some functions (reading ink levels for example) still work but printing does not. I deleted it from the Mac and tried to add it back, again, it’s detected but gives a “cannot communicate with printer” error when trying to add it back. This is clearly a bug introduced with the new upgrades.

Apr 16, 2022 4:23 AM in response to clivefromottawa

Thanks to you and all who have responded. This has been a difficult release. I've had many problems...dropped printer, mouse/system freezing, repeating error message about syncing with Safari. I've had to reboot multiple times. Had to recover from backups twice. I'm sure that Monterey 12.3.1 has lots of benefits but it has issues, too. I run a very vanilla Airbook and I'll keep applying updates, but yikoh this update lacks Apple's ease of use.

May 17, 2022 6:56 AM in response to moya274

YIPPPPPPEEEEEE. Just installed Monterey 12.4* and my printer (HP Envy 4520) now works!!!!!! Yup...I had to re-add the printer.

*I did have a bit of a problem with the install...in the first "update" step, it appeared to have a communication issue and it aborted the process (the error message indicated a problem with the wifi communication to the internet. ) I rebooted (shut down) my Apple and then did the upgrade and the update worked and the printer now works. Kudos to the developers!!

Monterey 12.3.1 HP4520 error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.