Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan recovery refuses to re-install

I booted my 2009 iMac into recovery mode and erased the "Macintosh HD" partition in Disk Utility. When I then run "Reinstall OS X", the application "verifies" the computer with Apple, I agree to the license, select my hard drive, and then sign in to the App Store when prompted. Once done, I'm presented with the message:

"This item is temporarily unavailable."

I can't progress beyond this point.

How can I get this thing running again?

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 1:13 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 4, 2022 11:27 AM in response to my ginger

@my ginger:

Thanks, that makes sense.

When I hit icloud.com from within Safari in recovery mode, it loads the page (progress bar along the top completes) but the spinner in the middle of the viewable area never subsides, and I don't get a login prompt. I'm guessing that the current incarnation of icloud.com requires Safari newer than is available to me, i.e. Safari 9.1.2.

It's a real shame that Apple seems to think that network validation with a magical server is a good idea when your computer is hosed.

Apr 4, 2022 12:32 PM in response to mbonnet

I just tried it with mine and it works. I have High Sierra. My wife has El Capitan and it works on hers. You could try internet recovery. Command Option R or Command Option Shift R. It will take you to a screen with a spinning globe and a loading bar. May have to enter your Wifi name and password. If you are able to do this it will install the version of OS that was on your Mac before upgrading to ElCapitan. Some 2009 Macs can't do this.

Try a Nvram reset Command Option P R and power button you three chimes. Also a SMC reset. Unplug the iMac and hold the power button for ten seconds. If this doesn't work you may need to use another Mac to download El Capitan and make a bootable flash drive installer.

El Capitan recovery refuses to re-install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.