Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive

Hi, I'm trying to access old files from an external hard drive and most are not showing up. When I connect the hard drive to my husband's PC, all the files are there, so how do I find them on my MacBook Air (purchased March 2021)? Thank you. I want to love this computer but I don't understand SO MUCH!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 4:45 PM

MacAirNewbie Said:

"external hard drive: Hi, I'm trying to access old files from an external hard drive and most are not showing up. When I connect the hard drive to my husband's PC, all the files are there, so how do I find them on my MacBook Air (purchased March 2021)? Thank you. I want to love this computer but I don't understand SO MUCH!"

-------

Format being the Culprit:

Its likely the format that is creating incompatibility.. So, I'd say get an eternal drive that is both PC and Mac compatible. You'd then plug both drives into the PC. Then, transfer it all through drag-and-drop between drives on the PC. Once the transfer is complete, plug the new drive into your Mac. See if all is accessible.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2022 4:45 PM in response to MacAirNewbie

MacAirNewbie Said:

"external hard drive: Hi, I'm trying to access old files from an external hard drive and most are not showing up. When I connect the hard drive to my husband's PC, all the files are there, so how do I find them on my MacBook Air (purchased March 2021)? Thank you. I want to love this computer but I don't understand SO MUCH!"

-------

Format being the Culprit:

Its likely the format that is creating incompatibility.. So, I'd say get an eternal drive that is both PC and Mac compatible. You'd then plug both drives into the PC. Then, transfer it all through drag-and-drop between drives on the PC. Once the transfer is complete, plug the new drive into your Mac. See if all is accessible.

external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.