Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-pair Apple Watch to iPhone after old phone restore

I had an Apple Watch Series 1, paired and works no worries. I've created a backup of my phone. Then I've got an Apple Watch Series 6, paired and works no worries. I have backed up my phone, but apparently that backup is corrupt or something, just reboots the iPhone when I try to restore the backup. My phone got reset this weekend, and after a painful few days I'm back up and running again - but using the backup that knows about the AW1 but not the AW6.

I can't put the watch into pairing mode because it knows its already paired. How can I get my AW6 back onto my phone?

I've tried the force press as mentioned here: Re-pair Apple watch after iPhone reset - Apple Community

, but it's not working, no option for Erase.

Apple Watch, watchOS 4

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 5:20 AM

2 replies

Apr 4, 2022 10:37 AM in response to Community User

Thanks for the quick reply. I removed the watch from my cloud account, but no-one told the watch, so it still couldn't go into pairing mode again. I've adjusted the security to wipe the watch after 10 failed passcode attempts, then put in 10 bad codes. Now the watch is wiped, and I can add it as a new device to my phone. Seems a weird sledgehammer way of doing things, but it looks like it worked (still doing FW upgrade and pairing....).

Re-pair Apple Watch to iPhone after old phone restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.