Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

zsh: illegal hardware instruction

Archive utility not working - need to use this to update HMRC software. In Terminal advised to change from bash to zsh - followed instructions to change this but again in terminal I now get the message zsh: illegal hardware instruction.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2022 7:20 AM

Zsh does not read the prior Bash dotfiles to establish your PATH or other environment variables. You need to create that Zsh dotfile if you haven't. Otherwise, you may be attempting to run a 32-bit application in a strictly 64-bit operating system.

In the Terminal, key in this HEREDOC that will write out the bare essentials of a ~/.zshrc file. Do not type the heredoc> prompts, and press return after the last line's EOF entry:

<<'EOF' > ~/.zshrc
heredoc> export PATH="$HOME:/usr/local/bin:${PATH}"
heredoc> PS1="%m: %~ %% "
heredoc> EOF

To set the PATH and prompt in the current Terminal window:

source ~/.zshrc

The ~/.zshrc dotfile will be read each time you launch a Terminal session.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2022 7:20 AM in response to Sprillymaid

Zsh does not read the prior Bash dotfiles to establish your PATH or other environment variables. You need to create that Zsh dotfile if you haven't. Otherwise, you may be attempting to run a 32-bit application in a strictly 64-bit operating system.

In the Terminal, key in this HEREDOC that will write out the bare essentials of a ~/.zshrc file. Do not type the heredoc> prompts, and press return after the last line's EOF entry:

<<'EOF' > ~/.zshrc
heredoc> export PATH="$HOME:/usr/local/bin:${PATH}"
heredoc> PS1="%m: %~ %% "
heredoc> EOF

To set the PATH and prompt in the current Terminal window:

source ~/.zshrc

The ~/.zshrc dotfile will be read each time you launch a Terminal session.

Apr 4, 2022 10:04 AM in response to VikingOSX

Archive utility on my Mac. Everything worked previously when downloading updates from HMRC which are always zip files. Now can't even open App store to download an alternative way to open zip files. So many problems seem to have occurred after I upgraded to Big Sur, with different issues for different users (all admin level)

Thank you for your time - I think I'm going to have to spend yet more time researching solutions.

zsh: illegal hardware instruction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.