Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to move GarageBand library and ITunes to external drive

how to move GarageBand library and ITunes to an external drive? I have the Mac OS El Capitan and desperately need space on hard drive! I've worked out that music audio takes up several gigabytes on my Mac. I've made copies of the music library folders garageband & apple loops (within applications/application support) which are waiting on my external drive...

I read years old articles about making 'aliases' of these same folders, others point to using 'symbolic link'. confused as to which is the correct move right now in 2022 so What is my next step? I'm planning to upgrade El Capitan to the next OS above - whatever that is

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 8:52 AM

Hello the-Stuck-one,

It sounds as though you're seeking to move your GarageBand and iTunes/Music libraries to an external hard drive to save space continue to having access to those libraries. Apple Support Communities is a fantastic place for help! While the following article references moving your Photos Library, the steps outlined in the section "Move Photos Library to the storage device" do apply for GarageBand and iTunes/Music libraries as well.

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac

Prior to moving your libraries to the external device, you'll want to ensure your external storage device is formatted for macOS. Those steps are outlined in the article below.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Have a great rest of your day!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 8:52 AM in response to the-Stuck-one

Hello the-Stuck-one,

It sounds as though you're seeking to move your GarageBand and iTunes/Music libraries to an external hard drive to save space continue to having access to those libraries. Apple Support Communities is a fantastic place for help! While the following article references moving your Photos Library, the steps outlined in the section "Move Photos Library to the storage device" do apply for GarageBand and iTunes/Music libraries as well.

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac

Prior to moving your libraries to the external device, you'll want to ensure your external storage device is formatted for macOS. Those steps are outlined in the article below.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Have a great rest of your day!

how to move GarageBand library and ITunes to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.