Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic Setting

I recently fell in love with the Dolby Atmos feature on Apple Music. I am also an audiophile with several amplifiers and grand speakers. I read the automatic feature in Dolby Atmos settings that states a stereo format is downloaded of the song as well so when connected to non compatible devices; apple music will play the stereo version. If I have my settings set to download songs at Dolby Atmos and Lossless, connect my phone to my amplifiers that are not Dolby Atmos with the automatic setting enabled, will the Lossless file be playing? Or is the stereo version playing the Dolby Atmos quality, just without separation? The reason I have this question is because the Dolby Atmos symbol disappears without stating "Hi-Res Lossless" under the timeline of the song— it is just blank.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 12:52 AM

The Dolby Atmos tracks are lossy (on streaming services – even though, technically, the standard can support even lossless). The downloaded 2 channel stereo version carried with a Dolby Atmos download is lossy too.

If you compare the size of a lossless only download with a Dolby Atmos "combo" counterpart you should see a sensible difference. The former should be bigger than the latter.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 12:52 AM in response to christofreak

The Dolby Atmos tracks are lossy (on streaming services – even though, technically, the standard can support even lossless). The downloaded 2 channel stereo version carried with a Dolby Atmos download is lossy too.

If you compare the size of a lossless only download with a Dolby Atmos "combo" counterpart you should see a sensible difference. The former should be bigger than the latter.

Automatic Setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.