You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport taxes refund for Apple devices

Hi there!

I am just at San Francisco Airport trying to get back the taxes refund from 2 Iphones and an Airpods I bought in Valley Fair - Apple Store. At the store they gave me a bill which I had to show at the airport and now that I am here, they told me that Apple Store they shouldn't have charged me the taxes knowing that I am not living in the States.

Does anybody know if there is any way I can contact the supervisor from the shop I got them? Nobody at Apple Store told me and explained this although they know I was coming back to my country and I wanted to refund the taxes.

Thank you so much.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 12:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 12:52 PM

State sales tax in the US is based on where the goods are delivered.

See the following from https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/sales_tax_faqs/foreign_visitor_sales_tax_refund

I am visiting from another country. Can I get a refund of sales taxes paid?

Generally, no refund of sales tax is available if you took possession of the item from the vendor with a given state. In the United States, sales tax is imposed at the point of transfer of title or possession. Therefore, if a non-resident visitor to the United States purchases any taxable items and takes possession of the goods at the retailer’s location, sales tax is due and there is generally no refund of the sales tax paid simply because the goods will be removed from the United States. The United States is different from many other countries that have a VAT structure, where it is more common to get this type of refund.

If the retailer ships the goods out of the United States to the non-resident’s location in another country, then the sales tax is generally not due. However, the retailer must export the goods and the customer cannot take possession of the goods in the United States.

and the following from https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-373?language=en_US

The United States Government does not refund sales tax to foreign visitors. Sales tax charged in the United States is paid to individual states, not the Federal government - the same way that Value Added Tax (VAT) is paid in many countries.

If you are making a major purchase, such as a car, and you intend to export the item, you should contact the state taxation authority in the state where you will be making the purchase. They will be able to inform you of their criteria for refunding any sales tax paid.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 5, 2022 12:52 PM in response to taxesrefund

State sales tax in the US is based on where the goods are delivered.

See the following from https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/sales_tax_faqs/foreign_visitor_sales_tax_refund

I am visiting from another country. Can I get a refund of sales taxes paid?

Generally, no refund of sales tax is available if you took possession of the item from the vendor with a given state. In the United States, sales tax is imposed at the point of transfer of title or possession. Therefore, if a non-resident visitor to the United States purchases any taxable items and takes possession of the goods at the retailer’s location, sales tax is due and there is generally no refund of the sales tax paid simply because the goods will be removed from the United States. The United States is different from many other countries that have a VAT structure, where it is more common to get this type of refund.

If the retailer ships the goods out of the United States to the non-resident’s location in another country, then the sales tax is generally not due. However, the retailer must export the goods and the customer cannot take possession of the goods in the United States.

and the following from https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-373?language=en_US

The United States Government does not refund sales tax to foreign visitors. Sales tax charged in the United States is paid to individual states, not the Federal government - the same way that Value Added Tax (VAT) is paid in many countries.

If you are making a major purchase, such as a car, and you intend to export the item, you should contact the state taxation authority in the state where you will be making the purchase. They will be able to inform you of their criteria for refunding any sales tax paid.

Airport taxes refund for Apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.