Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to delete a time machine backup file?

Hello. I did a time machine backup at 6 pm today. When I looked in the Finder, in the Time Machine disk, the backup file for 6 pm was not there, so I did another backup at 6:05 pm. When I looked in the Finder, the backup file for 6:05 pm was not there, so I thought this was strange, and did another backup at 6:10 pm, and the backup file was not there. So I ejected the external disk and mounted it again, and now I had the three backups for 6pm, 6:05pm and 6:10 pm. So now I don't want to have so many backups, and I want to delete the ones for 6pm and 6:05pm, and just keep the one for 6:10 pm. Can I delete the two backup files from the Finder? O what do I need to do? Thanks. PD: if I enter Time Machine, there seems to be duplicate entries for these backups. Instead of using the Finder, should I delete both entries for each backup from within Time Machine? I would prefer to use the Finder if possible. PD2: it appears that there is no way to delete a backup from within Time Machine.

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 5:15 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 6, 2022 5:44 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Okay, since I am just starting with time machine backups with a new SSD today, I can do an Erase Disk with Disk Utilities and start all over, do you agree? Because each "single file" is about 120 GB, and I don't want to have three repeat files. Thanks! So, in conclusion, Time Machine files and not to be touched, with the Finder or with any other program.

how to delete a time machine backup file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.