Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SAYS to select disk on my 2012 Mac Air but I can't find a disk. Where might that disk be?

I want to give my old 2012 Mac Air to my grandson but it seems to have lost its ability to sign in. I have gone through the steps to where it says "Elect the system you want to use to start up your computer>" What do I type I the blank box? Doesn't show anything to select. And comes back and tells me basically there is not start up disk chosen (because there is none shown) So I hit [RESTART} and I'm left hanging? SO where do I find a start up disk if none is being shown?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 7:56 PM

From what you described it seems as though followed these instructions: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support. That's the correct thing to do, but what can happen is that a disk formatted for later macOS versions will not be recognized by earlier versions.

The solution is to reformat the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and not APFS. Start your Mac in Recovery mode, select Disk Utility, and select the internal device. In the View menu, choose Show All Devices.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2022 7:56 PM in response to klp43

From what you described it seems as though followed these instructions: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support. That's the correct thing to do, but what can happen is that a disk formatted for later macOS versions will not be recognized by earlier versions.

The solution is to reformat the disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and not APFS. Start your Mac in Recovery mode, select Disk Utility, and select the internal device. In the View menu, choose Show All Devices.

SAYS to select disk on my 2012 Mac Air but I can't find a disk. Where might that disk be?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.