Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV speedtest app

Hi

I've just treated myself to a new TV, 8K top spec.

I have an Apple TV 4K box when I do a speedtest on the Ookla app it shows around what I'm paying for 1gig.

When I use the browser on the TV and use Ookla speedtest its coming up much slower.

Anyone else had this issue?

They're both hard wired into the router

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 9:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 3:24 AM

Apple TV 4K has a gigabit ethernet port.

Try to find what the limits are for the ethernet port on your TV. It might be less than gigabit?

Note than 25 Mbps is enough for one stream of 4K HDR content from most content providers. More bandwidth won’t be utilized, except for speed test apps. Even YT 8K, if you can get that, will likely be under 100 Mbps bitrate, probably even under 50.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 8, 2022 3:24 AM in response to Kamanchi Slide

Apple TV 4K has a gigabit ethernet port.

Try to find what the limits are for the ethernet port on your TV. It might be less than gigabit?

Note than 25 Mbps is enough for one stream of 4K HDR content from most content providers. More bandwidth won’t be utilized, except for speed test apps. Even YT 8K, if you can get that, will likely be under 100 Mbps bitrate, probably even under 50.

Apr 7, 2022 12:27 PM in response to Kamanchi Slide

Congrats on the new toy :-). You're asking a question about your TV, but not sharing what TV model you just treated yourself to... Since the ATV4K ookla app is reporting roughtly the speed you expect, I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are, the TV manufacturer just hasn't put much effort into browser & TCP/IP stack optimization for whatever CPU is doing that sort of "Smart TV work".

Keep in mind that a smart TV can do what's expected of it with a fraction of the Internet bandwidth you're paying for - why should they optimize for speed tests in the Gbps range? I assume you're just curious... if you still are, you might learn more on your TV manufactuter's support site or in a TV owners' thread on AVSForum.com. Please note that I'm not trying to chase you away -- just sayin' you'll find more subject-matter-expertise elsewhere :-).

Best wishes for getting the new setup dialed in just right - keep us posted.

Apr 8, 2022 12:45 AM in response to bgmeek

Hey, thanks for the reply. While writing the post I thought perhaps I should be looking/asking on a Samsung forum but I was actually onto Samsung via web chat while asking and they didn't have a clue.

Its a Samsung QN800a 75" neo Qled 8k

I just thought it was strange that the Speedtest app on Apple TV was showing close to 900Mbps as was my iMac when I moved it to the router to hard wire in. So yeah I'm curious and wondered if anyone in this community had had the same issue.

I'll jump on Avforums and have a row with someone about it.... lol.

I'll update this when I get an answer.

Apple TV speedtest app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.