Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off iMessage read receipts

Where do I turn off the read receipt in individuals? I’ve already done it in settings, but some people are still being notified when I read their messages

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2022 9:28 AM

You can configure Read for individual messages with some Contacts. I have mine turned off in Settings, however I have it turned on for Messages that I send to family members. For the messages you have with the people informing you that they are seeing Read, open the message, then tap on the name at the top of the message. It should open their contact as well as additional information. One of the setting choices there is Send Read Receipts. You can turn it off from there.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2022 9:28 AM in response to janisfromwv

You can configure Read for individual messages with some Contacts. I have mine turned off in Settings, however I have it turned on for Messages that I send to family members. For the messages you have with the people informing you that they are seeing Read, open the message, then tap on the name at the top of the message. It should open their contact as well as additional information. One of the setting choices there is Send Read Receipts. You can turn it off from there.

Turn off iMessage read receipts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.